Trib Prospect: Gateway's Anthony Davis
TribLIVE Sports Videos
When it comes to playing cornerback, Anthony Davis has a reputation for being a ball hawk. Or ball hog.
Davis made up for not playing offense by getting his hands on the ball on defense last season. His seven interceptions were tied for most in the WPIAL.
“I'm aggressive. I like to hit a lot,” Davis said. “And I think I have pretty good ball skills. I like to go up and get interceptions and run them back.”
Lately, Davis has been picking off scholarship offers. He has 17, including Boston College, Georgia Tech, Texas Tech and Vanderbilt.
But three stand out for the Gateway defensive back, who was selected to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review Terrific 25.
“My top three right now is West Virginia, Temple and Penn State,” Davis said, noting the Mountaineers like him at safety and the others at corner.
“I just really liked West Virginia when I went down there to the game. It had good atmosphere and coaches. Temple, our old head coach (Terry Smith) went there and I really liked that he's the Pa. recruiter. Penn State, I really liked it up there and the education is really good there and my family likes it, too.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Penguins’ best bet is on Martin
- Pitt AD Barnes has enjoyed varied career in college sports
- Spirit Airlines lifts fortunes of Arnold Palmer Regional Airport
- Burnett’s stellar start paves way for Pirates’ victory over Diamondbacks
- From injuries to front office, Penguins’ season didn’t lack drama
- High risk, reward with 1st-round quarterbacks in NFL Draft
- Penguins president: General manager, coach won’t be fired
- Elites, media & character
- Ex-Freeport star dealing with ‘scary’ ailment returns to Mercyhurst baseball team
- More than 2,200 confirmed dead in Nepal earthquake
- Man fatally shot in McKees Rocks identified