Trib Prospect: Beaver Falls' Elijah Cottrill
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Football was always Elijah Cottrill's first love, but basketball is starting to win his heart over.
The Beaver Falls two-sport star is a Division I prospect as a wide receiver/defensive back but is learning to love hoops after leading the Tigers to the PIAA Class AA championship and then receiving his first scholarship offer last weekend.
Creighton saw the shooting guard while he was playing in the Pittsburgh JamFest last Saturday at Sewickley Academy.
“They liked how I played,” said Cottrill, who didn't play basketball until seventh grade. “It was overwhelming.”
Cottrill didn't even know where Creighton was located (Omaha, Neb.) but was pleased to learn that it had just joined the Big East.
“Originally, I wanted to stay close to home,” he said, “but the Big East will bring me close to home so it doesn't matter.”
Cottrill still hasn't settled on which sport he will play in college.
“I'm just going to see how it goes,” he said. “I'm going to go wherever the offer is the best.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Attorney: Ferguson grand jury has reached decision
- U.S. Steel to relocate corporate headquarters on former Civic Arena site
- Allegheny judge Woodruff, ex-Steelers corner, to run for Pa. Supreme Court
- New Kensington-Arnold employee suspended over alleged inappropriate contact with student
- Clues to Chief Justice John Roberts’ thinking on new ObamaCare case
- High winds knock out power, injure man at Cranberry construction site
- Pennsylvania human services agency gets new name
- PennDOT says opening of HOV lanes delayed because of power outage
- Domestic dispute at gas station leads to lockdown at Arsenal Middle School
- 4 injured when vehicles collide, car plows into North Huntingdon auto body shop
- Allegheny County will stop asking about employees’ criminal history, executive says