Trib Prospect: Beaver Falls' Elijah Cottrill
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Football was always Elijah Cottrill's first love, but basketball is starting to win his heart over.
The Beaver Falls two-sport star is a Division I prospect as a wide receiver/defensive back but is learning to love hoops after leading the Tigers to the PIAA Class AA championship and then receiving his first scholarship offer last weekend.
Creighton saw the shooting guard while he was playing in the Pittsburgh JamFest last Saturday at Sewickley Academy.
“They liked how I played,” said Cottrill, who didn't play basketball until seventh grade. “It was overwhelming.”
Cottrill didn't even know where Creighton was located (Omaha, Neb.) but was pleased to learn that it had just joined the Big East.
“Originally, I wanted to stay close to home,” he said, “but the Big East will bring me close to home so it doesn't matter.”
Cottrill still hasn't settled on which sport he will play in college.
“I'm just going to see how it goes,” he said. “I'm going to go wherever the offer is the best.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Authorities release name of Greensburg man who jumped off overpass onto Route 30
- Review committee forwards 4 names to Allegheny County Council for appointment
- NFL notebook: Ex-Steelers WR Washington joins Texans after signing 1-year deal
- Steelers re-sign DE Geathers
- National park entry fees on rise as summer nears
- Operating loss widens at Highmark parent
- Duquesne grants release for 2 men’s basketball players
- History center to hold onto disputed Brashear time capsule for now
- Firefighters help stranded window washer in Mt. Lebanon
- Man dies in jump from Route 130 overpass onto passing tractor-trailer in Hempfield
- Former Pittsburgh teacher to stand trial on felony charge involving student