Trib Prospect: Beaver Falls' Elijah Cottrill
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Football was always Elijah Cottrill's first love, but basketball is starting to win his heart over.
The Beaver Falls two-sport star is a Division I prospect as a wide receiver/defensive back but is learning to love hoops after leading the Tigers to the PIAA Class AA championship and then receiving his first scholarship offer last weekend.
Creighton saw the shooting guard while he was playing in the Pittsburgh JamFest last Saturday at Sewickley Academy.
“They liked how I played,” said Cottrill, who didn't play basketball until seventh grade. “It was overwhelming.”
Cottrill didn't even know where Creighton was located (Omaha, Neb.) but was pleased to learn that it had just joined the Big East.
“Originally, I wanted to stay close to home,” he said, “but the Big East will bring me close to home so it doesn't matter.”
Cottrill still hasn't settled on which sport he will play in college.
“I'm just going to see how it goes,” he said. “I'm going to go wherever the offer is the best.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Brown calls Sanders’ comments about Roethlisberger ‘terrible’
- Pirates stumble in bid for sweep, lose to Giants, 7-5
- Steelers to retire Joe Greene’s jersey number
- Allegheny County jail guard can’t claim discrimination, judge rules
- Pirates’ Alvarez continues to sit, work on throwing woes
- Steelers offensive linemen looking to build on strong 2013 finish
- Stowaway’s access to Air Force plane eyed
- 30 cited for trespassing at union rally
- Teen allegedly drunk at time of police chase, crash
- Penn State gets verbal commitment from Maryland defensive end
- Harrison woman burned in trailer fire