Bishop Canevin softball's Klein signs with Carlow
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Bishop Canevin senior Hayley Klein just knew Carlow was the perfect fit.
“They have a great nursing program, and it is close to home,” Klein said. “They have a great softball program, and all my family can come and see me play. That was a big plus for me.”
The pitcher signed her letter of intent with the Celtics last week. The Carlow program has been highly successful in recent seasons. The team finished 19-13 in 2013 and earned a spot in the USCAA Nationals.
“It is very exciting to be part of a successful program,” Klein said. “They have had some great seasons, and I am looking forward to jointing the team.”
Carlow competes in the Kentucky Intercollegiate Athletic Conference. The NAIA conference also features Point Park, Alice Lloyd, Asbury, Berea, Brescia, Indiana-Southeast, Midway and SLCOP.
Klein has been the starting pitcher for the past two seasons. Crusaders coach Karen Seitz-Lafianza has watched her develop during that period.
“It is more of a mental thing than physical,” her high school coach said. “She is able to shake off hits and errors more easily and focus on the batter and not the play that just happened. Her drop ball is terrific.
“She used to go for the outside corner but is going for the inside corner more.”
Her development is far from over, though. Seitz-Lafianza said she expects to see Klein grow into a successful college athlete.
“She will be 10 times better in a few years then she is now,” Seitz-Lafianza said. “She wants to learn. And she has gotten more comfortable hitting and fielding. She will do really well.”
Klein helped lead Bishop Canevin to a 9-6 record and berth in the WPIAL Class A playoffs this season. While she is looking forward to college, Klein wants to make sure her high school career extends for a few more games.
“It is very exciting,” Klein said. “It is my last year with a great team. I want to go out with a bang.”
Nathan Smith is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at email@example.com or 412-388-5813.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Morton inconsistent, Bucs’ bats quiet in 5-0 loss to Rockies
- QB Vick hits ground running in debut
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin mum on Bryant suspension
- Pennsylvania welfare employees targeted in crackdown
- Rossi: Beleaguered Steelers need MVP from Big Ben
- Pirates notebook: Burnett encouraged by extended simulated game
- Architecture: Pittsburgh history in 10 houses
- Shale gas violations down as DEP steps up inspections
- Outdoors notices: Aug. 31, 2015
- Butler organization seeks answers for unexplained phenomena
- Belle Vernon Reality Tour offers close look at ‘nightmare’ of drug abuse