Prospect watch: Brentwood tailback Justin Vickless
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Ever since he started high school, Justin Vickless has had an eye on joining the WPIAL's 4,000-yard club.
Now that the Brentwood tailback is about 1,100 yards away, he just wants to win a conference championship.
“I'd rather go far with the team than go for individual goals,” Vickless said, “but I'd love to get those individual goals, obviously.”
Chances are, the Spartans' success this fall will depend on how far Vickless carries them.
Using his vision and quickness, he rushed for 1,521 yards and 18 touchdowns on 238 carries as a junior, averaging 6.4 yards per carry and 138.3 per game.
Vickless also boasts a 3.5 grade-point average, so it's no wonder he's hearing from Division I-AA programs such as Bucknell, Lafayette, Lehigh, New Hampshire, Princeton and Richmond.
“I think colleges should look at Class A kids. It's the same skill level, just with smaller linemen,” Vickless said. “I wouldn't say that I need a big season, but if the team plays well, we'll do well. It's not just on my shoulders. If that's how we win, I won't mind it.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers’ Shazier sits, Justin Brown inactive vs. Texans
- State Supreme Court Justice McCaffery suspended in email porn scandal
- Mars Area superintendent resigns after short tenure
- Harrison woman dead in 3-car crash in Natrona Heights
- Ferrante defense says arrest of prosecutor’s boyfriend could affect case
- Discipline Pitt’s only option against Georgia Tech
- Penguins send down pair, Bortuzzo practices
- Deepening U.S. commitment to Kobani ties Obama’s Islamic State effort to Kurds’ fate
- Bomb threat prompts search at Norwin High School
- Indiana slaying suspect hints at more deaths
- Police arrest 14-year-old in connection to bomb threats phoned in to South Hills schools