Prospect watch: Brentwood tailback Justin Vickless
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Ever since he started high school, Justin Vickless has had an eye on joining the WPIAL's 4,000-yard club.
Now that the Brentwood tailback is about 1,100 yards away, he just wants to win a conference championship.
“I'd rather go far with the team than go for individual goals,” Vickless said, “but I'd love to get those individual goals, obviously.”
Chances are, the Spartans' success this fall will depend on how far Vickless carries them.
Using his vision and quickness, he rushed for 1,521 yards and 18 touchdowns on 238 carries as a junior, averaging 6.4 yards per carry and 138.3 per game.
Vickless also boasts a 3.5 grade-point average, so it's no wonder he's hearing from Division I-AA programs such as Bucknell, Lafayette, Lehigh, New Hampshire, Princeton and Richmond.
“I think colleges should look at Class A kids. It's the same skill level, just with smaller linemen,” Vickless said. “I wouldn't say that I need a big season, but if the team plays well, we'll do well. It's not just on my shoulders. If that's how we win, I won't mind it.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pittsburgh Regatta will go on without boats, water events
- Rossi: Rutherford shines as old boss pouts
- Record-breaking solar-powered plane lands in Hawaii after flight from Japan
- Crane tips over, smashes into roof of building at Pitt
- Homebrewers timid when choosing commercial styles
- Public implored to avoid iPhone cases that resemble guns
- Former Jeannette coach held for trial on charges of assault on teen girls
- LaBar: What’s killing professional wrestling
- Liriano, Pirates complete sweep of Tigers
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Indians, July 3, 2015
- Shaken by economic, political turmoil, MLB forsaking Venezuela