Prospect watch: Brentwood tailback Justin Vickless
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Ever since he started high school, Justin Vickless has had an eye on joining the WPIAL's 4,000-yard club.
Now that the Brentwood tailback is about 1,100 yards away, he just wants to win a conference championship.
“I'd rather go far with the team than go for individual goals,” Vickless said, “but I'd love to get those individual goals, obviously.”
Chances are, the Spartans' success this fall will depend on how far Vickless carries them.
Using his vision and quickness, he rushed for 1,521 yards and 18 touchdowns on 238 carries as a junior, averaging 6.4 yards per carry and 138.3 per game.
Vickless also boasts a 3.5 grade-point average, so it's no wonder he's hearing from Division I-AA programs such as Bucknell, Lafayette, Lehigh, New Hampshire, Princeton and Richmond.
“I think colleges should look at Class A kids. It's the same skill level, just with smaller linemen,” Vickless said. “I wouldn't say that I need a big season, but if the team plays well, we'll do well. It's not just on my shoulders. If that's how we win, I won't mind it.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers offensive line targeting injury-free performance as key
- Westmoreland used car dealers indicted in fraud
- Struggling Pirates SS Mercer finding himself out on infield’s left side
- Police confiscate heroin, phones, cash in North Versailles bust
- Starkey: Patriots’ legacy forever stained
- Analyst says Pa. senate race leans toward Toomey — because Democrats ‘loathe’ Sestak
- Developer hopes to make Allegheny Center a tech hub
- Plum witnesses seen entering grand jury building in Dormont
- Natrona Heights native helped bring ‘American Ninja Warrior’ to Pittsburgh
- Suspect in killings of wealthy D.C. family arrested
- Former Ringgold guidance counselor facing sex charges