Prospect watch: Brentwood tailback Justin Vickless
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Ever since he started high school, Justin Vickless has had an eye on joining the WPIAL's 4,000-yard club.
Now that the Brentwood tailback is about 1,100 yards away, he just wants to win a conference championship.
“I'd rather go far with the team than go for individual goals,” Vickless said, “but I'd love to get those individual goals, obviously.”
Chances are, the Spartans' success this fall will depend on how far Vickless carries them.
Using his vision and quickness, he rushed for 1,521 yards and 18 touchdowns on 238 carries as a junior, averaging 6.4 yards per carry and 138.3 per game.
Vickless also boasts a 3.5 grade-point average, so it's no wonder he's hearing from Division I-AA programs such as Bucknell, Lafayette, Lehigh, New Hampshire, Princeton and Richmond.
“I think colleges should look at Class A kids. It's the same skill level, just with smaller linemen,” Vickless said. “I wouldn't say that I need a big season, but if the team plays well, we'll do well. It's not just on my shoulders. If that's how we win, I won't mind it.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pens get physical, trade Goc for Blues’ Lapierre
- Winfield man is one of a few to attend all 49 Super Bowl games
- Springdale puts limits on adult businesses
- Plum’s 1st property tax hike since 2006 could reach 6.2%
- Pirates trade Snider to Orioles for minor league pitcher
- Plum School Board OKS teachers contract
- Letang produces 5 assists in return as Penguins defeat Jets, 5-3
- No cross-checking here: Penguins misspell ‘Sidney’
- Charleroi preps for showdown
- Burrell students embark on educational adventure
- Second career choice leads to business ownership in Charleroi