Trib Prospect: Lincoln Park's Maverick Rowan
TribLIVE Sports Videos
When Pitt offered a scholarship to Maverick Rowan, the Lincoln Park freshman didn't have to look far for advice.
Rowan simply turned to his father, Ron, a former Beaver Falls star who played at Notre Dame and St. John's and then professionally overseas.
“He said it's the best conference in America,” Maverick said. “There's a lot of great teams in the ACC, where you can prove yourself to be the best.
“We both said, ‘I'd rather play for Pitt and beat Duke and North Carolina than play for either of those teams and beat Pitt.' ”
Maverick made a verbal commitment to Pitt last Sunday, hours before UCLA offered the sharpshooting guard.
Rowan wants to clarify that he still has three years of high school eligibility remaining, despite repeating eighth grade and turning 17 on July 14. He said he has no plans to leave Lincoln Park or back out of his commitment to Pitt.
“I don't want to change and I'm not going to change. My decision is set in stone,” said Rowan, who can sign in November 2015. “That's the only downside, that I can't play there right now.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Liriano, Pirates complete sweep of Tigers
- Kessel ‘excited’ to be a Penguin
- Hurricanes owner rips Rutherford, Penguins
- Attorney General’s twin sister sued by FBI agent ex-boyfriend
- Wolf vetoes bill privatizing Pennsylvania’s liquor system
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Indians, July 3, 2015
- Man who threatened to jump from bridge in custody
- Rossi: Wild Wednesday proves Steelers rule
- Donor’s mother overjoyed as 2-year-old liver transplant recipient recovers
- Blairsville-Saltsburg School District looks to fill music, buildings and grounds positions
- Jeannette businesses can get a free fresh coat of paint