Trib Prospect: Lincoln Park's Maverick Rowan
TribLIVE Sports Videos
When Pitt offered a scholarship to Maverick Rowan, the Lincoln Park freshman didn't have to look far for advice.
Rowan simply turned to his father, Ron, a former Beaver Falls star who played at Notre Dame and St. John's and then professionally overseas.
“He said it's the best conference in America,” Maverick said. “There's a lot of great teams in the ACC, where you can prove yourself to be the best.
“We both said, ‘I'd rather play for Pitt and beat Duke and North Carolina than play for either of those teams and beat Pitt.' ”
Maverick made a verbal commitment to Pitt last Sunday, hours before UCLA offered the sharpshooting guard.
Rowan wants to clarify that he still has three years of high school eligibility remaining, despite repeating eighth grade and turning 17 on July 14. He said he has no plans to leave Lincoln Park or back out of his commitment to Pitt.
“I don't want to change and I'm not going to change. My decision is set in stone,” said Rowan, who can sign in November 2015. “That's the only downside, that I can't play there right now.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Crosby banned from Jets game because he missed All-Star Game
- Former Steelers LB Haggans to do time in Westmoreland jail
- LeBeau won’t join Cardinals coaching staff
- Pine-Richland’s DiNucci to Pitt; Kittanning’s Bowers opts for PSU
- Pittsburgh cracks down on overcrowded houses
- Teen found in Riverview Park last year died of overdose
- Snow causes collisions, delays in Mon-Yough area
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended 8 games for hit on Letang
- Some normalcy returns to Homestead business district devastated by fire
- Liberty public servant Owens remembered as problem solver
- Ligonier planners recommend approval of restaurant proposal