Penn State perfect fit for Shady Side Academy grad Allen
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Sometimes, it takes awhile to find the right fit.
Such was the case with 2012 Shady Side Academy graduate Kendall Allen. After leading SSA to three state championships in her four years there, she decided to attend Michigan State.
“Before I started classes, I just felt that I wasn't going to be comfortable there,” she said.
Allen then attended Ohio State for a semester before she decided that she had to do some soul-searching.
“I put the clubs down in April for a couple of months and, at that point, let the coaches at Ohio State know that I had decided to head elsewhere,” she said. “They were very gracious and told me they would help me wherever I decided to go.”
Her destination turned out to be Happy Valley.
“I just loved it at Penn State as soon as I got there,” Allen said. “I'm thrilled. I love the setting, the rural location, the coaches and the facilities. Taking the time off helped me to make the right decision.”
The Big 10 has certain sports that have a transfer exemption, which means that the athlete doesn't have to sit out a year.
Women's golf is one of the sports so Allen, who was red-shirted at Ohio State, will be able to take to the tees immediately and have four years of eligibility.
“I can't wait for the fall season,” she said. “We should have a good, competitive team and I'm ready to contribute. I think I'll fit right in.
According to Allen, the four-month hiatus didn't hurt her game at all.
“I felt that my game was great considering the layoff,” she said. “I'm happy to be back and I'm glad to be playing closer to home.”
Allen, who will major in agricultural business, believes that she has become a more complete player since her days at Shady Side Academy.
“I can hit the ball farther and I'm more consistent,” she said. “I'll be playing in tournaments over the summer to help get me ready for the fall season at Penn State.”
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- U.S. Steel looks to expand its Research & Technology Center in Munhall
- Rossi: Pirates must land Lester
- Temple dumps SAT, ACT scores from application process
- Beloved teacher at 3 Western Pa. schools hears from students across nation
- Surprise! Lee Supply will play for Grebb girls’ title
- Steelers hold high hopes for pass defense
- Powdermill reserve summer program teaches wildlife conservation
- Steelers notebook: Brown calls Sanders’ comments about Roethlisberger ‘terrible’
- After years of lobbying, Big Ben has Steelers running the no-huddle
- Pirates notebook: Trade rumors for Red Sox pitcher Lester still swirling
- Proposed Mt. Pleasant VFW relocation site faces a backlash