TribProspect: Gateway's Anthony Davis
By Kevin Gorman
Published: Saturday, Sept. 7, 2013, 10:57 p.m.
Terry Smith showed his strong bond with his former Gateway players when the Temple assistant coach signed Todd Jeter and secured commitments from seniors Delvon Randall and Brenon Thrift.
Smith stunned the recruiting world, however, when he convinced Gateway defensive back Anthony Davis to spurn BCS offers and commit to the Owls last month.
Davis might be having a change of heart after attending the Pitt-Florida State game Monday at Heinz Field.
“What is happening is he's really torn,” Rivals.com Mid-Atlantic recruiting analyst Adam Friedman said. “All of those Gateway guys love Temple, but his mom wants him to go to Pitt.”
If Davis is going to reopen his recruitment, he isn't saying. He hasn't returned phone calls or text messages from the Tribune-Review this week.
Pitt is making a push for not only Davis but also Gateway's Montae Nicholson.
“Pitt would be the only other option for him, the only school he'd consider,” Friedman said. “It's a very fluid situation. It could happen at any moment.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Garden Q&A: Firecracker vine OK for trellis?
- MLB notebook: Dodgers ace Kershaw pitches simulated game
- Penguins notebook: Gibbons day-to-day after Game 2 injury
- Cole’s strong outing wasted in 14-inning loss
- Starkey: Penguins’ arrogance astounding
- Chicago defenseman Seabrook suspended for hit on St. Louis captain Backes
- Pirates notebook: No rush to judgment by Hurdle
- Egg decorating turns to fight, charges in Brookline, police say
- Three ejected after Pirates, Brewers brawl
- Abdullah widens lead in Afghan vote tally
- Fix the 2nd Amendment with 5 words