TribProspect: Gateway's Anthony Davis
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Terry Smith showed his strong bond with his former Gateway players when the Temple assistant coach signed Todd Jeter and secured commitments from seniors Delvon Randall and Brenon Thrift.
Smith stunned the recruiting world, however, when he convinced Gateway defensive back Anthony Davis to spurn BCS offers and commit to the Owls last month.
Davis might be having a change of heart after attending the Pitt-Florida State game Monday at Heinz Field.
“What is happening is he's really torn,” Rivals.com Mid-Atlantic recruiting analyst Adam Friedman said. “All of those Gateway guys love Temple, but his mom wants him to go to Pitt.”
If Davis is going to reopen his recruitment, he isn't saying. He hasn't returned phone calls or text messages from the Tribune-Review this week.
Pitt is making a push for not only Davis but also Gateway's Montae Nicholson.
“Pitt would be the only other option for him, the only school he'd consider,” Friedman said. “It's a very fluid situation. It could happen at any moment.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Taillon headed for surgery, Richard traded
- New Penguin Kessel’s shot is what makes him special
- Russian winger Plotnikov could join Penguins in August
- Tiny black weevils booming in W.Pa.
- Pirates can’t overcome long rain delay, Indians in interleague setback
- Ex-teammates say Kessel unfairly criticized
- Gorman: Barnstorming tour bigger than baseball
- Proposal aims to bring slots to Pa. airports
- Bethel trio of siblings celebrate 150 years of marriage
- Fun-seekers won’t let a Pittsburgh regatta without races get them down
- America’s path to freedom reflected in region’s numerous historic sites