Prospect watch: USO's Marcus Johnson
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Marcus Johnson has posted impressive receiving numbers this season for USO, the City League co-operative between University Prep, Science & Technology and Obama Academy.
Johnson has used his speed to get separation and has 30 catches for 691 yards and nine touchdowns in four games this season.
But USO offensive coordinator LaRoi Johnson believes something else sets him apart.
“It's his route-running,” LaRoi Johnson said. “There's a lot of good wide receivers in the City League who are fast. He understands how to use his body.
“You can't find a kid who plays the ball better in the air. He's going to go up and get it. It's his mindset. He's extremely confident.”
Marcus Johnson has an offer from Hampton University, and is receiving interest from Bowling Green, Pitt, Temple and Toledo.
“They say that I've got some potential,” said Johnson, who ran the 40-yard dash in 4.6 seconds at Toledo. “Just give me a chance and I'll show everybody that I can do it at the next level.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers finalize 53-man roster
- Pitt cruises past Delaware in season opener
- Coping with Kids: Cool products for family road trips
- Pirates notebook: Morton status remains in limbo
- Former Steelers linebacker Harrison retires
- Woman killed in Fayette County van-motorcycle collision
- Outbound 376 reopened after man on exit sign caused closure
- AFL-CIO: Wolf out in front in city’s Labor Day parade
- Penn State edges Central Florida on last-second field goal
- Secret judicial ruling blocks release of sexually explicit emails
- 90,000 people could hit the North Shore for games, ribs