Prospect watch: USO's Marcus Johnson
By Kevin Gorman
Published: Saturday, Sept. 21, 2013, 11:21 p.m.
Marcus Johnson has posted impressive receiving numbers this season for USO, the City League co-operative between University Prep, Science & Technology and Obama Academy.
Johnson has used his speed to get separation and has 30 catches for 691 yards and nine touchdowns in four games this season.
But USO offensive coordinator LaRoi Johnson believes something else sets him apart.
“It's his route-running,” LaRoi Johnson said. “There's a lot of good wide receivers in the City League who are fast. He understands how to use his body.
“You can't find a kid who plays the ball better in the air. He's going to go up and get it. It's his mindset. He's extremely confident.”
Marcus Johnson has an offer from Hampton University, and is receiving interest from Bowling Green, Pitt, Temple and Toledo.
“They say that I've got some potential,” said Johnson, who ran the 40-yard dash in 4.6 seconds at Toledo. “Just give me a chance and I'll show everybody that I can do it at the next level.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Garden Q&A: Firecracker vine OK for trellis?
- Starkey: Penguins’ arrogance astounding
- Matt Calvert’s goal in double OT evens series for Blue Jackets
- Draftees’ longevity key for NFL success
- Penguins’ Gibbons scores twice but leaves with apparent injury
- Second-period short-handed goal gives Blue Jackets momentum
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in shooting at Chartiers party
- Pair of Braun homers spells defeat for Pirates
- NFL notebook: Pryor will be cut if he’s not traded
- North Versailles, Murrysville families still waiting for report on 2011 chopper crash that killed couple
- More women seize opportunities to start businesses