Prospect watch: USO's Marcus Johnson
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Marcus Johnson has posted impressive receiving numbers this season for USO, the City League co-operative between University Prep, Science & Technology and Obama Academy.
Johnson has used his speed to get separation and has 30 catches for 691 yards and nine touchdowns in four games this season.
But USO offensive coordinator LaRoi Johnson believes something else sets him apart.
“It's his route-running,” LaRoi Johnson said. “There's a lot of good wide receivers in the City League who are fast. He understands how to use his body.
“You can't find a kid who plays the ball better in the air. He's going to go up and get it. It's his mindset. He's extremely confident.”
Marcus Johnson has an offer from Hampton University, and is receiving interest from Bowling Green, Pitt, Temple and Toledo.
“They say that I've got some potential,” said Johnson, who ran the 40-yard dash in 4.6 seconds at Toledo. “Just give me a chance and I'll show everybody that I can do it at the next level.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Identity of Route 30 suicide victim revealed
- Starkey: Penguins’ season impressive so far
- Penguins a love affair for Evancho sisters
- Firefighter hurt in 3-alarm fire at Jefferson Hills restaurant
- Controversial McKeesport building destroyed by fire
- Man dies in jump from Route 130 overpass onto passing tractor-trailer in Hempfield
- Poll shows Clinton slipping in trustworthiness among voters
- Hornqvist’s net-front presence with Penguins could be valuable asset
- Pennsylvania religious freedom law does not extend to for-profits
- Big names highlight Three Rivers Arts Festival’s 2015 musical lineup
- Expert to discuss the warning signs of fraud in Mon Valley stop