Prospect watch: USO's Marcus Johnson
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Marcus Johnson has posted impressive receiving numbers this season for USO, the City League co-operative between University Prep, Science & Technology and Obama Academy.
Johnson has used his speed to get separation and has 30 catches for 691 yards and nine touchdowns in four games this season.
But USO offensive coordinator LaRoi Johnson believes something else sets him apart.
“It's his route-running,” LaRoi Johnson said. “There's a lot of good wide receivers in the City League who are fast. He understands how to use his body.
“You can't find a kid who plays the ball better in the air. He's going to go up and get it. It's his mindset. He's extremely confident.”
Marcus Johnson has an offer from Hampton University, and is receiving interest from Bowling Green, Pitt, Temple and Toledo.
“They say that I've got some potential,” said Johnson, who ran the 40-yard dash in 4.6 seconds at Toledo. “Just give me a chance and I'll show everybody that I can do it at the next level.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Prospect Taillon to undergo season-ending hernia surgery
- MLB notebook: Yankees to donate $150K to charity for A-Rod’s 3,000th hit ball
- City police investigate death in Squirrel Hill
- Fun-seekers won’t let a Pittsburgh regatta without races get them down
- Russian winger Plotnikov could join Penguins in August
- Mountain Playhouse’s ‘Chapter Two’ provides funny, touching look at love and loss
- Burgeoning garden trend looks to nature as healing aid
- Local performers draw on travel experiences
- Rossi: Rutherford shines as old boss pouts
- Viburnum leaf beetles have made way to Pa., but you can limit damage
- Vincentian boys, girls basketball camps plant seeds for success