Prospect watch: USO's Marcus Johnson
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Marcus Johnson has posted impressive receiving numbers this season for USO, the City League co-operative between University Prep, Science & Technology and Obama Academy.
Johnson has used his speed to get separation and has 30 catches for 691 yards and nine touchdowns in four games this season.
But USO offensive coordinator LaRoi Johnson believes something else sets him apart.
“It's his route-running,” LaRoi Johnson said. “There's a lot of good wide receivers in the City League who are fast. He understands how to use his body.
“You can't find a kid who plays the ball better in the air. He's going to go up and get it. It's his mindset. He's extremely confident.”
Marcus Johnson has an offer from Hampton University, and is receiving interest from Bowling Green, Pitt, Temple and Toledo.
“They say that I've got some potential,” said Johnson, who ran the 40-yard dash in 4.6 seconds at Toledo. “Just give me a chance and I'll show everybody that I can do it at the next level.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- State police say escaped Armstrong County inmate has been captured
- Judge rules McCullough guilty of taking money from elderly woman’s estate
- Pirates’ Burnett endures another poor start in blowout loss to Reds
- Starkey: Garoppolo baffles Steelers
- Pirates bolster bullpen by trading for former closer Soria
- Steelers’ reserve quarterbacks vie to secure spot behind Roethlisberger, Gradkowski
- Emails among Governor Wolf’s aides reveal concern over AG Kane
- Former Virginia Governor Gilmore joins 520 vying for presidency
- Pitt, McConnell-Serio agree to new contract through 2020-21 season
- Inside the Steelers: Rookie linebacker Chickillo continues to excel
- Warrant issued for man accused of killing Brookline woman