Trib prospect: Shady Side Academy's Jarred Brevard
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Jarred Brevard didn't just find a future home in Fordham, he found a college whose head coach shared common ground in their childhoods.
Like Brevard, Fordham coach Joe Moorhead is a Penn Hills native who attended St. Bartholomew grade school before playing quarterback at Central Catholic and Fordham.
“I thought it was pretty cool,” Brevard said. “He's somebody you know you can trust.”
Brevard trusted Moorhead so much he made a verbal commitment to the Patriot League school. The Shady Side Academy running back chose the Rams over Cornell, Davidson and Penn.
Fordham started the season 7-0 and is ranked in the top 10 in FCS.
“I took an unofficial visit in the summer and they pretty much rolled out the red carpet for me,” Brevard said. “I felt like it was the right spot for me to go.
“With the situation they're in, they're only taking one running back and had other offers out there. I wanted to make sure I had my spot. I didn't want to miss out on the opportunity to go there since they were my No. 1.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- PennDOT team decides what spells trouble on vehicle license plates
- Pirates get journeyman Ishikawa off waivers; outfielder Marte injured
- Woman shot at Kennywood Park in ‘freak accident’
- Alvarez homer triggers winning outburst for Pirates
- Bookings for August Wilson Center climb, but permanent board yet to be set
- Ex-teammates say Kessel unfairly criticized
- Bombs at mosque, restaurant in central Nigerian city kill 44
- McCutchen, Pirates hitters increasingly in crosshairs
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Padres, July 6, 2015
- Allegheny County Council aims to dig out of hole
- ‘Iron Dog’ draws four-legged competitors from across the region