Trib prospect: Kiski Area's Adam Mitcheson
TribLIVE Sports Videos
When it comes to giving football scholarships, colleges often ice the kicker.
So, after months of playing the waiting game, Kiski Area's Adam Mitcheson was relieved to receive two scholarship offers this past week. He committed to Buffalo, choosing the Bulls over Youngstown State.
“They always say kickers go last,” Mitcheson said, “so I was happy to know now.”
Buffalo joined the recruitment race about a month ago. Two kicking camps, One on One Kicking and the Hammer Kicking Academy, helped put him on the Bulls' radar.
Facebook communication between Mitcheson and Buffalo coaches established the connection.
Youngstown State wanted Mitcheson primarily as a punter. The senior said he prefers to kick but will specialize in whatever gets him on the field fastest.
Prior to Friday's win over Latrobe, Mitcheson averaged 38.2 yards per punt and had 16 touchbacks on 39 kickoffs. He has made 11 of 14 field-goal attempts, converting from 46, 42 and 38 yards, and is 22 of 24 on extra-point tries.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers use 3 late first-half TDs to stun Texans
- Rossi: Steelers’ season all about going big
- Rookie Bryant sparks deep passing game for Steelers in victory
- Steelers notebook: Adams replaces concussed Gilbert
- Harrison woman dead in 3-car crash in Natrona Heights
- Pittsburgh police officers start wearing video cameras
- Kin of 2013 DUI crash victim in Hempfield lose young family in fire
- Ferrante defense says arrest of prosecutor’s boyfriend could affect case
- Bortuzzo could provide much-needed physical presence for Penguins
- Pa. Supreme Court Justice McCaffery suspended in email porn scandal
- Natrona Bottling Co. keeps soda pop operation small, putting effort into craft, taste