Trib prospect: Kiski Area's Adam Mitcheson
TribLIVE Sports Videos
When it comes to giving football scholarships, colleges often ice the kicker.
So, after months of playing the waiting game, Kiski Area's Adam Mitcheson was relieved to receive two scholarship offers this past week. He committed to Buffalo, choosing the Bulls over Youngstown State.
“They always say kickers go last,” Mitcheson said, “so I was happy to know now.”
Buffalo joined the recruitment race about a month ago. Two kicking camps, One on One Kicking and the Hammer Kicking Academy, helped put him on the Bulls' radar.
Facebook communication between Mitcheson and Buffalo coaches established the connection.
Youngstown State wanted Mitcheson primarily as a punter. The senior said he prefers to kick but will specialize in whatever gets him on the field fastest.
Prior to Friday's win over Latrobe, Mitcheson averaged 38.2 yards per punt and had 16 touchbacks on 39 kickoffs. He has made 11 of 14 field-goal attempts, converting from 46, 42 and 38 yards, and is 22 of 24 on extra-point tries.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Steelers still knockin’ on Canton’s door
- Pitcher Arrieta, Cubs shut down Pirates in victory at PNC Park
- Plum man, 21, accused of attempted homicide
- Former Lower Burrell couple to stand trial for animal cruelty
- Homestead-Duquesne Road closure postponed
- Heyward-Bey looks to make impact on special teams with Steelers
- New Kensington considers seal-coat for roads
- Private schools fill void in driver education in Western Pennsylvania
- Philanthropist and one-time GOP powerhouse Elsie Hillman dies at 89
- Bridge replacement sends Fawn motorists on detours
- East Vangergrift gives contractor extra 16 days to complete separation project