Trib prospect: Kiski Area's Adam Mitcheson
TribLIVE Sports Videos
When it comes to giving football scholarships, colleges often ice the kicker.
So, after months of playing the waiting game, Kiski Area's Adam Mitcheson was relieved to receive two scholarship offers this past week. He committed to Buffalo, choosing the Bulls over Youngstown State.
“They always say kickers go last,” Mitcheson said, “so I was happy to know now.”
Buffalo joined the recruitment race about a month ago. Two kicking camps, One on One Kicking and the Hammer Kicking Academy, helped put him on the Bulls' radar.
Facebook communication between Mitcheson and Buffalo coaches established the connection.
Youngstown State wanted Mitcheson primarily as a punter. The senior said he prefers to kick but will specialize in whatever gets him on the field fastest.
Prior to Friday's win over Latrobe, Mitcheson averaged 38.2 yards per punt and had 16 touchbacks on 39 kickoffs. He has made 11 of 14 field-goal attempts, converting from 46, 42 and 38 yards, and is 22 of 24 on extra-point tries.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Johnston must reach Malkin in Moscow
- Steelers are in familiar territory going into training camp in Latrobe
- Air Algerie plane with 116 disappears from radar in Africa
- Pirates notebook: Recovering Cole exceeds expectations in simulated game
- Liriano, Snider lift Pirates to a victory over Dodgers at PNC Park
- New Penguins coach to meet with Malkin
- Hookah bar on tap for Greensburg
- Ex-Milwaukee archbishop told he can’t spend final days at St. Vincent Archabbey
- 3 identified in Route 66 crash near Delmont
- Transplant patients in limbo over coverage under UPMC-Highmark pact
- Tarentum man wants confiscated cash back so he can hire attorney