Trib prospect: Yough's Chandler Daniel
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Yough's Chandler Daniel got the one he wanted and pounced.
The 6-foot-4, 260-pound tackle/defensive end verbally committed to play for Duquesne this past week, cashing in on his lone scholarship offer.
“It's a good fit for me,” Daniel said.
A right tackle, Daniel helped Yough (6-5) average nearly 200 rushing yards per game. Despite missing a game and a half with a slight tear in his left MCL, he posted 24 solo tackles, 18 assists and four sacks at defensive end.
This from a kid who couldn't bench press 135 pounds as a sophomore first-year player.
His max now is 335, though the former basketball player isn't all muscle.
“He has tremendous feet for a big guy,” Yough coach Mark Crovak said. “He can move.”
Daniel has a 3.5 GPA on a 4.0 scale. He's a member of Yough's student council, works as a senior mentor and will study athletic training.
“It's where I want to go,” Daniel said. “I'm going for athletic training, and when it comes down to it, I have to consider my education as well.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Hurdle says Pirates must eliminate defensive gaffes
- NHL notebook: Red Wings waiting for AHL team to finish before naming coach
- Storms knock out power to several hundred in Western Pa.
- Judge: UPMC must provide in-network access to Highmark Medicare members
- Steelers’ defense unfazed by noise, believes in potential
- Chinese artillery spotted on artificial island
- Islamic State group claims Shiite mosque blast in Saudi Arabia
- Silk Road founder Ulbricht gets life term for drug-selling website
- Penn State lands 4-star offensive lineman from Reading
- Judge dismisses UPMC ‘data breach’ lawsuit
- Man dies trying to escape fire at his North Buffalo home