Prospect Watch: New Castle's Jake McPhatter
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The WPIAL's top-ranked Class AAAA basketball team has three starters with Division I scholarships, yet they're all for football.
New Castle's Jake McPhatter, a senior running back and defensive back, verbally committed this month to Ball State, a Mid-American Conference team in Muncie, Ind. Recruited to play safety or corner, McPhatter was the third teammate with an FBS or FCS scholarship. Safety Malik Hooker committed to Ohio State last summer and tight end Stew Allen recently chose Duquesne.
“They're all having really nice senior years,” said New Castle football coach Joe Cowart. “… They had great football seasons and they're all really good hoopers.”
New Castle's basketball team entered Saturday with a 13-0 record. Hooker leads them with a 23.7-point average, but McPhatter also scores in double figures. He had 16 points Friday against Butler, and 14 Tuesday versus Hampton.
Allen, a 6-foot-3 forward, also scores in double figures and had 21 points Jan. 3 against Seneca Valley.
— Chris Harlan
Notable: Will play safety or cornerback for Ball State.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Police officer fatally shot in New Florence; suspect in custody
- Woman dies after bleeding on sidewalk outside Carrick pizzeria
- Florida counties fight state on fracking plan
- Four downs: Steelers might still be Adams’ best bet
- At-home schooling on snow days far from reality
- Aliquippa wins 16th WPIAL title, ends South Fayette’s 44-game winning streak
- Steelers remain cautious of Seattle QB Wilson on ground, through air
- Unabashed church pastors put politics front and center
- Funding highway bill atop Rep. Shuster’s agenda
- Steelers notebook: Brown downplays possible matchup against Seahawks’ Sherman
- Small Business Saturday a boon to Alle-Kiski Valley merchants