Prospect Watch: New Castle's Jake McPhatter
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The WPIAL's top-ranked Class AAAA basketball team has three starters with Division I scholarships, yet they're all for football.
New Castle's Jake McPhatter, a senior running back and defensive back, verbally committed this month to Ball State, a Mid-American Conference team in Muncie, Ind. Recruited to play safety or corner, McPhatter was the third teammate with an FBS or FCS scholarship. Safety Malik Hooker committed to Ohio State last summer and tight end Stew Allen recently chose Duquesne.
“They're all having really nice senior years,” said New Castle football coach Joe Cowart. “… They had great football seasons and they're all really good hoopers.”
New Castle's basketball team entered Saturday with a 13-0 record. Hooker leads them with a 23.7-point average, but McPhatter also scores in double figures. He had 16 points Friday against Butler, and 14 Tuesday versus Hampton.
Allen, a 6-foot-3 forward, also scores in double figures and had 21 points Jan. 3 against Seneca Valley.
— Chris Harlan
Notable: Will play safety or cornerback for Ball State.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Roundup: Wealth gap largest on record, Pew study shows; McDonald’s in Japan limits orders of fries; more
- Salvation Army edges closer to campaign goals
- WM wrestling rebuilding after losses to graduation
- West Mifflin man charged with risking catastrophe
- West Mifflin soccer fields nearly done, but play will be delayed
- Starkey: Pederson had to go at Pitt
- Chryst returns home, named football coach at Wisconsin
- Valley New Dispatch spotlight athletes: Highlands’ Ashlyn Jonczak, Cheswick Christian Academy’s Ben Pollock
- Pederson’s 2nd tenure as the athletic director at Pitt comes to abrupt end
- Philly DA says no affidavits claimed by AG Kane in bribery case existed
- Connellsville Area High School Chamber Ensemble awaiting word on sing-off