Derry quarterback picks Lock Haven
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Derry senior Kyle Holmes recently signed a letter of intent to play football for Lock Haven University next season.
“I like the overall campus and atmosphere,” Holmes said. “All the sports stick together and support each other, and I really liked the coaching staff a lot.”
Holmes will play quarterback for Lock Haven, the same position he played for the Trojans. He finished his career 101 of 261 passing for 1,238 yards and rushed 78 times for 153 yards as a senior.
“He has a great arm so he's going to be able to throw the ball as they need him to at the college level,” said Al Gaiardo, Holmes' coach at Derry. “He's also an extremely competitive young man.
“He's a sports guy, and some of the things come a lot easier to him as far as recognizing things in coverage, or how the defense is aligned and how to take advantage of that. You don't need to spend as much time teaching him those things.”
Lock Haven finished 3-8 in 2013 and has three quarterbacks on its roster.
Gary Horvath is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pittsburgh angles to keep Heinz headquarters in merger
- Kentucky labors little in 78-39 rout of West Virginia
- Rossi: Kentucky just isn’t going to lose
- New Ken man ‘holed up’ in house
- Penguins’ protracted slump continues with 5-2 loss at Carolina
- Man charged with killing Larimer man last year
- Michigan man takes Heinz to court over Dip & Squeeze ketchup packet
- Soccer career continues for Springdale grad Weimerskirch
- Roundup: Headhunter reportedly solicits candidates to replace BNY Mellon CEO ; Yahoo says it will buy back $2B in stock; more
- Women to stand trial in theft of drugs from Norwin Pharmacy
- Narduzzi set to begin more critical evaluations during Pitt football spring drills