Derry quarterback picks Lock Haven
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Derry senior Kyle Holmes recently signed a letter of intent to play football for Lock Haven University next season.
“I like the overall campus and atmosphere,” Holmes said. “All the sports stick together and support each other, and I really liked the coaching staff a lot.”
Holmes will play quarterback for Lock Haven, the same position he played for the Trojans. He finished his career 101 of 261 passing for 1,238 yards and rushed 78 times for 153 yards as a senior.
“He has a great arm so he's going to be able to throw the ball as they need him to at the college level,” said Al Gaiardo, Holmes' coach at Derry. “He's also an extremely competitive young man.
“He's a sports guy, and some of the things come a lot easier to him as far as recognizing things in coverage, or how the defense is aligned and how to take advantage of that. You don't need to spend as much time teaching him those things.”
Lock Haven finished 3-8 in 2013 and has three quarterbacks on its roster.
Gary Horvath is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Lopsided loss to Eagles shows Steelers have issues aplenty
- Steelers notebook: Keisel always hoped to return
- Hero Franklin Regional security guard out of work
- Harrison’s 5 RBIs help Pirates pound Brewers
- Woman in stable condition after Hill District shooting that killed daughter
- Rossi: Time with Penguins taught Bylsma importance of stability
- Sandusky cover-up case unusually shrouded
- Unusually cold winter, spring reduces population of Western Pa. stink bugs
- Pirates notebook: Prospect Sanchez makes 1st start at first base with Indy
- Traffic for eastbound Squirrel Hill Tunnel getting congested
- Roundup: Keurig strikes deal with Kraft on coffee brands; more