Derry quarterback picks Lock Haven
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Derry senior Kyle Holmes recently signed a letter of intent to play football for Lock Haven University next season.
“I like the overall campus and atmosphere,” Holmes said. “All the sports stick together and support each other, and I really liked the coaching staff a lot.”
Holmes will play quarterback for Lock Haven, the same position he played for the Trojans. He finished his career 101 of 261 passing for 1,238 yards and rushed 78 times for 153 yards as a senior.
“He has a great arm so he's going to be able to throw the ball as they need him to at the college level,” said Al Gaiardo, Holmes' coach at Derry. “He's also an extremely competitive young man.
“He's a sports guy, and some of the things come a lot easier to him as far as recognizing things in coverage, or how the defense is aligned and how to take advantage of that. You don't need to spend as much time teaching him those things.”
Lock Haven finished 3-8 in 2013 and has three quarterbacks on its roster.
Gary Horvath is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Agent: Polamalu undecided whether to play in 2015
- Ice jam wipes out McKeesport’s marina
- Sestak kicks off U.S. Senate campaign — with a couple missteps
- Robert Morris whips Wagner to advance to NEC Tournament semifinals
- 11 Ligonier Township residents rescued by boat from floodwaters
- Penn State falls to Ohio State; Newbill gets 2,000th point
- Pirates look to put more pressure on opposition through improved baserunning
- Barges break loose on Monongahela in Duquesne
- Flooding hits Mon Wharf
- What George Orwell said about Hitler’s ‘Mein Kampf’
- Ex-Wash High star McKenzie charged by police, suspended by Virginia Tech