Prospect watch: Hampton's Collin Luther
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Elon basketball coach Matt Matheny had this question for Hampton's Collin Luther: What position do you play?
For a versatile senior listed at 6-foot-7, that's not easy to answer.
“I told him I'm a guy who can play a lot of roles,” said Luther, who at times was his team's point guard. “He said he liked to recruit guys who can play different positions and be a basketball player, not necessarily a shooting guard or point guard.”
That approach fit Luther, who committed to the NCAA Division I school this week. Elon will join the Colonial Athletic Association next season.
Luther visited the North Carolina school last summer on a family trip to the Outer Banks.
“Toward the end of my high school season, they started recruiting me really hard,” he said. “I knew it was a good school, so I decided to commit.”
Luther averaged 12.1 points as a senior and reached the 1,000-point career mark. He teamed with brother Ryan (a Pitt recruit) to reach three consecutive WPIAL championship games.
“I'll be doing my own thing now,” Collin said. “It's something I'm looking forward to.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates analyst Kent Tekulve recovering after heart transplant
- Steelers veteran defenders want young teammates to step up
- New approach on offense has Pirates in playoff contention this season
- Pitt football coach Chryst refutes analyst Wannstedt’s opinion
- Wheel separation incidents occasionally prove deadly; NTSB doesn’t track them
- War of words goes on at East Allegheny
- Steelers’ Brown combats disruptive defensive ploys
- Gambling ring trials continued
- Clairton banking on City Hall ATM machine
- Solicitor settles in at W. Oak
- Woman killed after car hits tree in Norvelt