Prospect watch: Hampton's Collin Luther
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Elon basketball coach Matt Matheny had this question for Hampton's Collin Luther: What position do you play?
For a versatile senior listed at 6-foot-7, that's not easy to answer.
“I told him I'm a guy who can play a lot of roles,” said Luther, who at times was his team's point guard. “He said he liked to recruit guys who can play different positions and be a basketball player, not necessarily a shooting guard or point guard.”
That approach fit Luther, who committed to the NCAA Division I school this week. Elon will join the Colonial Athletic Association next season.
Luther visited the North Carolina school last summer on a family trip to the Outer Banks.
“Toward the end of my high school season, they started recruiting me really hard,” he said. “I knew it was a good school, so I decided to commit.”
Luther averaged 12.1 points as a senior and reached the 1,000-point career mark. He teamed with brother Ryan (a Pitt recruit) to reach three consecutive WPIAL championship games.
“I'll be doing my own thing now,” Collin said. “It's something I'm looking forward to.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Charges advance for men accused in police scuffle at Fort Ligonier Days
- Sting highlights demand for Pappy Van Winkle bourbon
- Penguins finally break through, defeat Devils at Prudential Center
- Hempfield man receives long-overdue Bronze Star for World War II service
- Rooney says Pittsburgh is ‘good place’ for next northern Super Bowl
- Longtime Greensburg District Judge Albert will seek fifth term
- Arnold man’s molestation conviction upheld
- PPG submits offer for French sealants, adhesives business unit
- McCallister’s 14 points lead Steel Valley past Thomas Jefferson
- UPMC researcher who died of cyanide poisoning committed suicide
- Leader Times roundup: Kittanning boys take down Derry