Prospect watch: Hampton's Collin Luther
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Elon basketball coach Matt Matheny had this question for Hampton's Collin Luther: What position do you play?
For a versatile senior listed at 6-foot-7, that's not easy to answer.
“I told him I'm a guy who can play a lot of roles,” said Luther, who at times was his team's point guard. “He said he liked to recruit guys who can play different positions and be a basketball player, not necessarily a shooting guard or point guard.”
That approach fit Luther, who committed to the NCAA Division I school this week. Elon will join the Colonial Athletic Association next season.
Luther visited the North Carolina school last summer on a family trip to the Outer Banks.
“Toward the end of my high school season, they started recruiting me really hard,” he said. “I knew it was a good school, so I decided to commit.”
Luther averaged 12.1 points as a senior and reached the 1,000-point career mark. He teamed with brother Ryan (a Pitt recruit) to reach three consecutive WPIAL championship games.
“I'll be doing my own thing now,” Collin said. “It's something I'm looking forward to.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Freezing rain hits Western Pennsylvania, accidents reported
- Steelers’ Wheaton embraces expanding role
- Tire comes off, hits oncoming car, kills 1 on Route 28
- Panthers fall to Hawaii in game they were expected to win
- 7 arrested in Latrobe-area drug dealing
- Fleury denied 300th win as Penguins lose to Islanders in shootout
- Play of nose tackles could have impact on Steelers’ stretch run
- On senior day, Pitt not giving up the fight
- Crowds pack Downtown Pittsburgh to enjoy Light Up Night festivities
- Ohio woman shot to death nearly 3 days before police find body in Neshannock home
- Pine-Richland tops defending champ Central Catholic to capture WPIAL title