Prospect watch: Hampton's Collin Luther
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Elon basketball coach Matt Matheny had this question for Hampton's Collin Luther: What position do you play?
For a versatile senior listed at 6-foot-7, that's not easy to answer.
“I told him I'm a guy who can play a lot of roles,” said Luther, who at times was his team's point guard. “He said he liked to recruit guys who can play different positions and be a basketball player, not necessarily a shooting guard or point guard.”
That approach fit Luther, who committed to the NCAA Division I school this week. Elon will join the Colonial Athletic Association next season.
Luther visited the North Carolina school last summer on a family trip to the Outer Banks.
“Toward the end of my high school season, they started recruiting me really hard,” he said. “I knew it was a good school, so I decided to commit.”
Luther averaged 12.1 points as a senior and reached the 1,000-point career mark. He teamed with brother Ryan (a Pitt recruit) to reach three consecutive WPIAL championship games.
“I'll be doing my own thing now,” Collin said. “It's something I'm looking forward to.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates win 5th straight as offense continues to click
- Mt. Lebanon police chief to retire, replacement selected
- Greek debt fears, surge in dollar nip at stock market
- UPMC offering buyouts to 3,500 of older workers in cost-cutting move
- Steelers notebook: LB Harrison open for larger role
- Crash shuts portion of Saw Mill Run Boulevard
- Tomlin gives suggestion Steelers won’t be shy about going for 2
- Hines Ward appearing on ‘Celebrity Wife Swap’
- Former Richmond forward to play hoops at Pitt
- NFL notebook: Vikings’ Peterson skips organized team activities
- Pirates notebook: Struggling Polanco held out of starting lineup