Prospect watch: Hampton's Collin Luther
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Elon basketball coach Matt Matheny had this question for Hampton's Collin Luther: What position do you play?
For a versatile senior listed at 6-foot-7, that's not easy to answer.
“I told him I'm a guy who can play a lot of roles,” said Luther, who at times was his team's point guard. “He said he liked to recruit guys who can play different positions and be a basketball player, not necessarily a shooting guard or point guard.”
That approach fit Luther, who committed to the NCAA Division I school this week. Elon will join the Colonial Athletic Association next season.
Luther visited the North Carolina school last summer on a family trip to the Outer Banks.
“Toward the end of my high school season, they started recruiting me really hard,” he said. “I knew it was a good school, so I decided to commit.”
Luther averaged 12.1 points as a senior and reached the 1,000-point career mark. He teamed with brother Ryan (a Pitt recruit) to reach three consecutive WPIAL championship games.
“I'll be doing my own thing now,” Collin said. “It's something I'm looking forward to.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates come back to take series from Padres
- Starkey: Is this Huntington’s best Bucs team?
- U.S. allows ‘purposeful’ cruises to Cuba; Carnival plans trips from Miami in May
- Roundup: Wolf names 48 to task force on expanding gas pipelines; Airlines boost on-time rating; more
- 92-year-old Rostraver home invasion victim questioned by suspect in court
- Longtime bus driver worked hard to the end
- Nonprofit finds 529 illegal dump sites in Pittsburgh, 250 more than 2009
- Plum board members reach consensus on new elementary school
- Risk for insurers, mutual funds are stronger, IMF claims
- U.S. job openings stay high, but actual hiring falters in May
- Shale impact fees increase in Carroll