Trib Prospect: Clairton's Aaron Mathews
TribLIVE Sports Videos
At 6 foot 5, Clairton's Aaron Mathews causes headaches for small cornerbacks. Height isn't his only attribute.
“His ball skills are tremendous,” said Adam Friedman, the mid-Atlantic recruiting analyst at Rivals.com. “As he develops his footwork and his route running, it's going to be very difficult for any defensive back to really guard him in the open field.”
Pitt and Temple must agree. The two schools extended scholarship offers to Mathews, a 2016 graduate, on Friday. Freshman teammate Lamont Wade also received offers from both. Mathews already held a scholarship from Toledo.
“We see him being a major Division I prospect,” Friedman said.
Mathews ranked among the best underclassmen at the Rivals Camp Series event in Columbus, Ohio, two weeks ago. He was a quarterback and all-conference defensive back last season at Clairton but projects at receiver. He worked out in Columbus with the wideouts.
“You can't teach that size and athleticism,” Friedman said of the 187-pound sophomore. “He's not skinny by any means.”
— Chris Harlan
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Knoch baseball not content with WPIAL finals berth
- Roaring Run mountain bike trail to be thrust into limelight
- New Kensington constructs Little Free Library
- Pa. gaming industry’s growth amplifies siren call for addicts
- Pirates chase Mets’ Harvey early in rout
- Parks threatened by dispute over renewal
- Hempfield train crash search called off; no evidence found
- Good season predicted for region’s boaters
- Ex-Baldwin, Pitt star Pinkston not giving up on NFL dream
- Former pitcher Allie happily adjusting to outfield
- Police arrest Beechview woman in deaths of four dogs