Trib Prospect: Clairton's Aaron Mathews
TribLIVE Sports Videos
At 6 foot 5, Clairton's Aaron Mathews causes headaches for small cornerbacks. Height isn't his only attribute.
“His ball skills are tremendous,” said Adam Friedman, the mid-Atlantic recruiting analyst at Rivals.com. “As he develops his footwork and his route running, it's going to be very difficult for any defensive back to really guard him in the open field.”
Pitt and Temple must agree. The two schools extended scholarship offers to Mathews, a 2016 graduate, on Friday. Freshman teammate Lamont Wade also received offers from both. Mathews already held a scholarship from Toledo.
“We see him being a major Division I prospect,” Friedman said.
Mathews ranked among the best underclassmen at the Rivals Camp Series event in Columbus, Ohio, two weeks ago. He was a quarterback and all-conference defensive back last season at Clairton but projects at receiver. He worked out in Columbus with the wideouts.
“You can't teach that size and athleticism,” Friedman said of the 187-pound sophomore. “He's not skinny by any means.”
— Chris Harlan
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- At least one dead in Beaver County fire
- Dozens of cats rescued from trash-filled home in Arnold
- Ringgold topples Thomas Jefferson
- LaBar: Best next opponent for Brock Lesnar
- Pirates rout Cardinals to keep things interesting in NL Central
- Foster mother awaits abuse charges
- South Allegheny mounts 2nd-half rally to top Sto-Rox
- 3rd ex-Springfield officer files lawsuit
- Armstrong football wins inaugural game
- California wildfires impede holiday fun
- Friday night lights begin with 13 of 14 Alle-Kiski Valley teams opening their season