Trib Prospect: Clairton's Aaron Mathews
TribLIVE Sports Videos
At 6 foot 5, Clairton's Aaron Mathews causes headaches for small cornerbacks. Height isn't his only attribute.
“His ball skills are tremendous,” said Adam Friedman, the mid-Atlantic recruiting analyst at Rivals.com. “As he develops his footwork and his route running, it's going to be very difficult for any defensive back to really guard him in the open field.”
Pitt and Temple must agree. The two schools extended scholarship offers to Mathews, a 2016 graduate, on Friday. Freshman teammate Lamont Wade also received offers from both. Mathews already held a scholarship from Toledo.
“We see him being a major Division I prospect,” Friedman said.
Mathews ranked among the best underclassmen at the Rivals Camp Series event in Columbus, Ohio, two weeks ago. He was a quarterback and all-conference defensive back last season at Clairton but projects at receiver. He worked out in Columbus with the wideouts.
“You can't teach that size and athleticism,” Friedman said of the 187-pound sophomore. “He's not skinny by any means.”
— Chris Harlan
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 1 dead, 2 hurt in Pennsylvania hospital shooting
- Man snatches purse behind mall
- DA must approve some arrests based on eyewitness identification
- Truck crashes into Dairy Queen, five injured in Penn Hills
- Rossi: Johnston must reach Malkin in Moscow
- Beaver DA believes girls might have lived had dad responded faster
- Woman accused of stabbing boyfriend in back
- Allegheny County public works director leaves job
- Steelers are in familiar territory going into training camp in Latrobe
- Findlay company owed another $27M, judge decides
- Appeal filed in death of special needs child in Fayette