Trib Prospect: Clairton's Aaron Mathews
TribLIVE Sports Videos
At 6 foot 5, Clairton's Aaron Mathews causes headaches for small cornerbacks. Height isn't his only attribute.
“His ball skills are tremendous,” said Adam Friedman, the mid-Atlantic recruiting analyst at Rivals.com. “As he develops his footwork and his route running, it's going to be very difficult for any defensive back to really guard him in the open field.”
Pitt and Temple must agree. The two schools extended scholarship offers to Mathews, a 2016 graduate, on Friday. Freshman teammate Lamont Wade also received offers from both. Mathews already held a scholarship from Toledo.
“We see him being a major Division I prospect,” Friedman said.
Mathews ranked among the best underclassmen at the Rivals Camp Series event in Columbus, Ohio, two weeks ago. He was a quarterback and all-conference defensive back last season at Clairton but projects at receiver. He worked out in Columbus with the wideouts.
“You can't teach that size and athleticism,” Friedman said of the 187-pound sophomore. “He's not skinny by any means.”
— Chris Harlan
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Dallas hospital officials confirm 1st Ebola case diagnosed in U.S.
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin bringing officials to practice
- Safety worries prompt PennDOT to order nighttime closures on Parkway West
- Pittsburgh rallies for second year of Pirates magic
- Steelers film session: Harrison on the field often
- Police find pipe bombs in woods during manhunt for suspect in trooper ambush
- Chief says Youngwood house fire is suspicious
- Public station WQED cutting staff in face of financial woes
- FedEx facility in Butler County could bring hundreds of jobs
- LNG exports get federal approval from Dominion’s Cove Point terminal
- Somerset man accused of taking son, 3, along on burglary