Trib Prospect: Clairton's Aaron Mathews
TribLIVE Sports Videos
At 6 foot 5, Clairton's Aaron Mathews causes headaches for small cornerbacks. Height isn't his only attribute.
“His ball skills are tremendous,” said Adam Friedman, the mid-Atlantic recruiting analyst at Rivals.com. “As he develops his footwork and his route running, it's going to be very difficult for any defensive back to really guard him in the open field.”
Pitt and Temple must agree. The two schools extended scholarship offers to Mathews, a 2016 graduate, on Friday. Freshman teammate Lamont Wade also received offers from both. Mathews already held a scholarship from Toledo.
“We see him being a major Division I prospect,” Friedman said.
Mathews ranked among the best underclassmen at the Rivals Camp Series event in Columbus, Ohio, two weeks ago. He was a quarterback and all-conference defensive back last season at Clairton but projects at receiver. He worked out in Columbus with the wideouts.
“You can't teach that size and athleticism,” Friedman said of the 187-pound sophomore. “He's not skinny by any means.”
— Chris Harlan
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- NASA’s Maven explorer arriving at Mars year-long trek
- Penguins’ Rutherford hopes to raise Cup again
- Former Titans kicker Bironas killed in accident
- Pirates find a bridge at end of baseball world in Holdzkom
- Gas industry remedies ‘brain drain’ in Western Pennsylvania
- Pirates’ 5-game winning streak ends with 1-0 loss to Brewers
- Who speaks for our hills? These regional assets are taking a beating
- SWAT team responds to incident in Edgeworth
- Former drug dealer, addict give away groceries as part of New Kensington church’s outreach
- Penguins notebook: Crosby sits, could be out ‘couple days’
- Hill District leaders irked as Penguins submit former Civic Arena site plan to city