Ringgold to host recruiting seminar
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Ringgold is sponsoring a recruiting seminar for area coaches, athletes and their families that will deal with the NCAA and NAIA Academic Eligibility requirements, athletic scholarships and the college recruiting process.
The seminar is set for 7 p.m. Wednesday at the Ringgold High School auditorium.
Ringgold Athletic Director Ron McMichael said the seminar is open to all coaches, parents and athletes around the Mid-Mon Valley.
“It's not only for high school athletes, but middle school as well,” McMichael said. “This seminar will help our parents to become more knowledgeable and realistic about athletic scholarships and the recruiting process. I am also encouraging middle school families to attend so they can learn that now is the time to prepare for playing sports in college.”
Darnell Dinkins of Dynamic Sports, a former Pitt football and player and Super Bowl champion, will conduct the hour-long event, titled “Guiding the College-Bound Athlete.”
“It's a really important hour for any coach or family or athlete who is looking to go on to the next level,” McMichael said. “This event will teach our parents and athletes how to set up visits, create a recruiting plan, where to look for financial aid and scholarships, and how to find the right college.”
McMichael said he understands the importance of having the right plan for coaches to get their athletes into colleges, regardless of the level.
“The idea is to teach students how to be proactive in the recruiting process,” McMichael said. “Any advantage you can get is a plus.”
Ringgold held a similar seminar two years ago and McMichael said that event was limited to just Ringgold coaches and students and their families.
“We received some interest from outside the district this time, so I sent emails to all area athletic directors letting them know their coaches and kids are welcome to attend,” McMichael said.
McMichael added that there is no charge to attend the seminar.
Jeff Oliver is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-684-2666 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Consumer, core prices inch up
- Steelers’ defense on pace for fewest sacks in 16-game season
- Penn State defense returns to familiar spot atop Big Ten Conference
- Flyers continue mastery of Penguins at Consol
- Starkey: Century mark beckons for Ben
- Florida fugitive nabbed in Pittsburgh-area homeless shelter
- Pitt offense eyes healthy balance
- Canadians more fearful, aware after ‘very rare’ attack
- Highmark seeks double-digit increase for more benefits, heavy use
- Contempt citation sought by state against Highmark for alleged violation of deal with UPMC
- VA promotion for administrator stuns legislator