Ringgold to host recruiting seminar
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Ringgold is sponsoring a recruiting seminar for area coaches, athletes and their families that will deal with the NCAA and NAIA Academic Eligibility requirements, athletic scholarships and the college recruiting process.
The seminar is set for 7 p.m. Wednesday at the Ringgold High School auditorium.
Ringgold Athletic Director Ron McMichael said the seminar is open to all coaches, parents and athletes around the Mid-Mon Valley.
“It's not only for high school athletes, but middle school as well,” McMichael said. “This seminar will help our parents to become more knowledgeable and realistic about athletic scholarships and the recruiting process. I am also encouraging middle school families to attend so they can learn that now is the time to prepare for playing sports in college.”
Darnell Dinkins of Dynamic Sports, a former Pitt football and player and Super Bowl champion, will conduct the hour-long event, titled “Guiding the College-Bound Athlete.”
“It's a really important hour for any coach or family or athlete who is looking to go on to the next level,” McMichael said. “This event will teach our parents and athletes how to set up visits, create a recruiting plan, where to look for financial aid and scholarships, and how to find the right college.”
McMichael said he understands the importance of having the right plan for coaches to get their athletes into colleges, regardless of the level.
“The idea is to teach students how to be proactive in the recruiting process,” McMichael said. “Any advantage you can get is a plus.”
Ringgold held a similar seminar two years ago and McMichael said that event was limited to just Ringgold coaches and students and their families.
“We received some interest from outside the district this time, so I sent emails to all area athletic directors letting them know their coaches and kids are welcome to attend,” McMichael said.
McMichael added that there is no charge to attend the seminar.
Jeff Oliver is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-684-2666 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Looking at the next great Steeler
- Steelers swap draft pick for Eagles cornerback
- After early criticism, Haley has Steelers offense poised to be even better
- Penguins not alone in top-heavy approach to salary cap
- Missing deaf, autistic teen last seen on North Side
- Steelers notebook: Injuries finally become issue at training camp
- Fallout from child protection law felt in Pa. churches, libraries, fields
- Implant gives epileptics chance at ‘new life’
- Shell shovels $30M into proposed Beaver County plant site
- Inside the Steelers: QB Jones continues to get majority of snaps
- As college football training camps open, defenses fall under microscope