Golden Eagles suffer first loss
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Keystone Oaks hockey coach John McCarthy had a simple explanation of what happened during the Golden Eagles 11-3 loss to Ford City last week – the Sabers simply outplayed them.
“Ford City kept its game simple,” McCarthy said. “They outworked us and our kids didn't respond well. We had players trying to do too much and it came back and hurt us.”
Ford City got on the scoreboard first but Bryton Tomko evened the score at 1-1 on an unassisted goal.
Ford City then jumped out to a 3-1 lead but Ryan Rosato cut the deficit to one off an assist from Tomko late in the first period.
The second period was all Ford City as it outscored Keystone Oaks, 3-0.
The Sabers kept it up coming out of intermission, scoring three early goals. Tomko scored an unassisted goal to stop the Ford City streak, but the visitors finished with two more goals.
“We started chasing the puck and not playing our positions,” McCarthy said. “Once you start chasing the puck, you are in for a long night.”
The loss dropped Keystone Oaks to 2-1. The Golden Eagles are in a three-way tie for first place in Section 4 of the Open Class with Baldwin and Greensburg Salem.
Senior captain Ryan Ribeau was hit with a game misconduct penalty in the final five minutes of play – a penalty that will result in a suspension during the team's next game.
“We had some players who let their emotions get the best of them,” McCarthy said. “They have to learn to keep that in check.
“It will bring some adversity to our next game but if they can respond well, it will be a good stepping stone.”
The Golden Eagles return to the ice Nov. 29 as they travel to Greensburg Salem. The puck drops at 9:15 p.m.
Nathan Smith is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 412-388-5813.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Rutherford hits jackpot with Kessel
- Rossi: Wild Wednesday proves Steelers rule
- Penguins notebook: Rutherford proves savvy in deal
- Penguins get their man in making trade with Toronto for Kessel
- 2B Walker, Pirates smash through Tigers pitching in road victory
- Pirates notebook: Cole cool about hostile comment
- Writings attributed to jailed Plum Teacher dubbed evocative of stalker
- Steelers submit application to play host to Super Bowl in 2023
- Expect drawn-out state budget impasse, Pa. political analysts say
- New Kensington residents rally in support of 82-year-old robbery victim
- FBI searching for Homestead man indicted for sex trafficking in children