Plum tops Montour for first win of season
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Plum varsity ice hockey team snapped a five-game winless streak to begin its 2012-13 PIHL Class AA season and defeated Montour, 4-1, Monday night at the Robert Morris University Island Sports Center.
The Mustangs improved to 1-4-1 on the season, and they will return to action Dec. 3 at 8:20 p.m. against Franklin Regional at the Pittsburgh Ice Arena in New Kensington.
Montour and Plum played to a scoreless first period, but the Mustangs erupted for three straight goals, including two on the power play, to take a 3-0 lead with 1:23 to play until intermission.
The Spartans cut into the lead with a goal 30 seconds until the end of the period, but Plum came back with a goal early in the third period, and the Mustangs defense and senior goaltender Taylor Cestra held Montour off the board the rest of the way.
Joe Randazzo scored a pair of goals, and he now has 10 goals in five games played this season. That total leads all of Class AA.
Andrew Walters and James D'Andrea added scores, while Walters assisted on two goals. Zach Kuhn and Todd Ruggiero also recorded assists.
Cestra faced 28 Montour shots, and she made 27 saves. The Plum offense fired off 28 shots.
Montour fell to 0-3.
Michael Love is a staff writer with Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5825 or at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Hurdle takes responsibility for mistakes that ended Pirates’ 7-game win streak
- Chesney fans flood the North Shore
- MLB notebook: Suspension appeal hearing for Brewers’ Smith set for Monday
- Graham poised to enter presidential race
- Mars doubles partners want more after getting PIAA bronze
- Steelers nose tackle McCullers finds performance, fitness go hand in hand
- Steelers sign 7th-rounder Holliman
- Fagerbakke happy to keep playing Patrick on ‘SpongeBob’
- ‘Two-party stranglehold’ on debates in group’s sights
- Lightning hits Rostraver home; child hurt
- Former Pittsburgh police chief released from prison