Ford City sets scoring record
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Ford City's hockey team finished with a record-setting number of goals Monday night in its win over Ringgold.
The Sabers defeated the Rams, 20-0, at the Rostraver Ice Garden in Open Class action. Ford City's previous top total since the program's re-establishment in 2007 was 17 goals. Twenty goals also ranked as the highest total for any Open Class team this season, surpassing the previous mark of 14.
Josh Oliver led the Sabers (4-1-1) with five goals; he registered a team-high 10 points. Joe Cippel had a hat trick, and Cody Atherton, Jesse Valasek and Robert Kinsey each scored twice.
Valasek finished with nine points. Cippel had seven. And Kinsey logged five.
Adam Cogley earned the shutout with six saves.
Ian Tomasiak made 32 saves in net for Ringgold (1-5).
Quaker Valley 4, Freeport 1 — In a showdown between the last two unbeaten teams in Class A, Quaker Valley (6-0) used three goals, including two on the power play, to pull away from Freeport (2-1-1) in the second period.
Stone Haberstroh ended the shutout with a short-handed goal in the third period for the Yellowjackets, who finished with just 16 shots on net.
Jimmy Perkins scored twice for Quaker Valley.
Parker Sherry had 15 saves for the Quakers, while Dom Digiacobbe made 24 stops for Freeport.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates pound Padres for 7th consecutive victory
- Steel Valley keeps taxes flat in 2015-16 budget
- SummerFest taking shape for 2nd year in Ford City
- Former Ford City superintendent charged with killing family member in Texas
- Rural Valley celebration to mark fire department’s 100th year
- Apollo-Ridge students connect world, science
- UPMC McKeesport’s stroke team recognized
- Steelers’ defense unfazed by noise, believes in potential
- LaBar: Future of Rusev in WWE critical
- Starkey: NHL playoffs suddenly sublime
- Overhaul possible for West Mifflin’s Century III Mall