Ford City sets scoring record
By Leader Times
Published: Monday, December 3, 2012, 11:12 p.m.
Updated: Friday, January 4, 2013
Ford City's hockey team finished with a record-setting number of goals Monday night in its win over Ringgold.
The Sabers defeated the Rams, 20-0, at the Rostraver Ice Garden in Open Class action. Ford City's previous top total since the program's re-establishment in 2007 was 17 goals. Twenty goals also ranked as the highest total for any Open Class team this season, surpassing the previous mark of 14.
Josh Oliver led the Sabers (4-1-1) with five goals; he registered a team-high 10 points. Joe Cippel had a hat trick, and Cody Atherton, Jesse Valasek and Robert Kinsey each scored twice.
Valasek finished with nine points. Cippel had seven. And Kinsey logged five.
Adam Cogley earned the shutout with six saves.
Ian Tomasiak made 32 saves in net for Ringgold (1-5).
Quaker Valley 4, Freeport 1 — In a showdown between the last two unbeaten teams in Class A, Quaker Valley (6-0) used three goals, including two on the power play, to pull away from Freeport (2-1-1) in the second period.
Stone Haberstroh ended the shutout with a short-handed goal in the third period for the Yellowjackets, who finished with just 16 shots on net.
Jimmy Perkins scored twice for Quaker Valley.
Parker Sherry had 15 saves for the Quakers, while Dom Digiacobbe made 24 stops for Freeport.
- Neal’s solid play soon could pay off on scoresheet for Penguins
- ‘We did it!’ Peduto tells city, as he defeats Wagner
- Kovacevic: Pens improve under microscope
- Penguins Insider: Time is right for Jokinen’s return
- Senators get vote of confidence
- Steelers’ Polamalu trim, fit as he arrives for OTAs
- Rupert wins Democratic nod to run for sheriff
- Smeltzer loses seat on ASD board
- Lincoln takes primary
- 25 percent of voters go to polls
- Steelers quarterback Roethlisberger likes the revamped offense
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.