Ford City sets scoring record
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Ford City's hockey team finished with a record-setting number of goals Monday night in its win over Ringgold.
The Sabers defeated the Rams, 20-0, at the Rostraver Ice Garden in Open Class action. Ford City's previous top total since the program's re-establishment in 2007 was 17 goals. Twenty goals also ranked as the highest total for any Open Class team this season, surpassing the previous mark of 14.
Josh Oliver led the Sabers (4-1-1) with five goals; he registered a team-high 10 points. Joe Cippel had a hat trick, and Cody Atherton, Jesse Valasek and Robert Kinsey each scored twice.
Valasek finished with nine points. Cippel had seven. And Kinsey logged five.
Adam Cogley earned the shutout with six saves.
Ian Tomasiak made 32 saves in net for Ringgold (1-5).
Quaker Valley 4, Freeport 1 — In a showdown between the last two unbeaten teams in Class A, Quaker Valley (6-0) used three goals, including two on the power play, to pull away from Freeport (2-1-1) in the second period.
Stone Haberstroh ended the shutout with a short-handed goal in the third period for the Yellowjackets, who finished with just 16 shots on net.
Jimmy Perkins scored twice for Quaker Valley.
Parker Sherry had 15 saves for the Quakers, while Dom Digiacobbe made 24 stops for Freeport.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Jobs on state website include ‘private party dancing,’ ‘car dates’
- Nutting says Pirates may ‘stretch’ for Martin
- Stocks slammed as manufacturing slows in U.S., abroad
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin bringing officials to practice
- Donetsk rattled by explosions; airport at risk
- So Many Questions: Cary Elwes’s memoir offers a look at the filming of ‘The Princess Bride’
- Connellsville Township VFD given $61,750 Homeland Security grant
- Knife-wielding man attacks 2 in Sheetz lot in Greensburg
- Consol Energy cutting retiree health benefits, phasing out pension
- Enterovirus D68 case confirmed in southwestern Pennsylvania
- News Alert