Knights pick up a pair of wins
By Matt Grubba
Published: Wednesday, Dec. 5, 2012, 8:59 p.m.
Norwin's hockey team came back from a short break for Thanksgiving with a pair of wins against strong opponents.
The Knights topped 2012 semifinalist Peters Township, 4-3, last Friday at Center Ice Arena before knocking off Central Catholic, 6-3, on Monday at BladeRunners Harmarville.
Norwin (5-3-0) needed a comeback to knock off Peters Township (2-3-0), as the Knights scored twice in the final 2:06 to escape with the win.
Tim Palmer scored the game-winning goal with :34 remaining in the game on assists from Dan Merz and Robert Romeo.
Romeo was responsible for getting the Knights back in the game, as he scored unassisted to tie the game at 3-3. Merz scored both of Norwin's earlier goals, both of which were unassisted.
Against Central Catholic (4-5-0), the Knights pulled away with a five-goal second period to break a 1-1 tie after the first.
The first of two goals by Merz, a power-play goal assisted by Palmer and Dante Youhon, tied the game early in the second period, 2-2.
Youhon scored twice in the period and Merz notched his second, and when Central Catholic cut the lead on a goal by Chris McCambridge, Palmer extended the lead back to three goals with his second tally of the game in the final minute before the intermission.
Merz finished with four points in the game, while Youhon and Palmer both had three.
Chad Albert earned both wins in net for Norwin by making 14 and 23 saves, respectively.
The Knights are scheduled to be back on the ice Thursday when they host Butler (3-2-0) at 7:45 p.m. at Center Ice Arena.
Norwin currently is in first place of Section 3 with 10 points, but second-place State College (4-1-0) has three games in hand on the Knights as of Monday's play.
Matt Grubba is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5830 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Switch in pairings helps Penguins defensemen find groove in Game 3
- Penguins insider: Malkin found confidence in Game 3
- Husband to stand trial in Derry middle school teacher’s murder
- Pirates notebook: MLB metes out suspensions
- SCI-Pittsburgh inmate taken to AGH after ‘severe beating’
- Pennsylvania Gov. Corbett wants candidate Wolf to release tax records
- Steelers pick up defensive end Heyward’s option for 2015 season
- Kovacevic: No science to solving power play
- West Mifflin business joins forces with East Allegheny students
- Local Episcopal priest sentenced in child pornography case
- Prescription Drug Take Back Day to be observed locally