High school hockey roundup: Freeport earns shutout
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Freeport and South Park remained tied through one period Thursday night at the Ice Castle in Castle Shannon. Then, the Yellowjackets turned to their odd-man specialists and surged ahead.
With three power-play goals and a short-handed tally, Freeport (3-1-1) pulled away from South Park (3-4) in the final two periods of the PIHL Class A contest to win, 5-0. Michael Frazetta ended the tie with a power-play goal less than two minutes into the second period. Nicholas Zidek and Brendon Zack also had man-advantage goals. Greg Newman added a short-handed goal. Hunter Kepple scored Freeport's only even-strength goal and also had two assists.
Matt Huston earned the shutout with 24 saves, while South Park's Shane Walker made 39 stops.
Ford City 12, Ringgold 0 — The Sabers (5-1-1) beat Open Class foe Ringgold (1-6) for the second time this week as they again shut out the Rams. In the two games, Ford City scored 32 goals and outshot Ringgold, 98-17.
John Phelps led the offense with a hat trick, while Marcus McCall and Jesse Valasek each scored twice. Joe Cippel, Eli Thompson and Robert Kinsey each had a goal and two assists.
Chance McClain earned the shutout, while Ben Cafeo made 34 saves for Ringgold.
Kittanning 11, Greensburg Central Catholic 1 — Hunter Grafton scored four times in the first period, and Kittanning (4-2-1) held Greensburg Central Catholic (0-8) to 14 shots during the Class A rut. Christian Miller finished with a team-high five points (2 goals, 3 assists), while Eli Johns (1, 2) and Zane Wichowski (2, 1) each registered three points.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Perry: Guardsmen needed at Mexican border to handle criminals
- Steelers notebook: Mitchell to miss beginning of training camp
- Rossi: Roethlisberger staging big comeback
- Steelers won’t negotiate Roethlisberger extension until after season
- After year off, Steelers’ Pouncey ‘ready to go’
- Rockies’ 7-run 7th-inning dooms Pirates in 8-1 loss
- Megan’s Law offender in Greensburg arrested when girl, 13, found hiding in shower
- Young Hotel residents moved to temporary shelter in Pitcairn
- Tri-state Tea Party group aims to broaden its appeal to conservatives
- Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board suspends in-store tastings
- W. Pa. immigration court clogged by case backlog