Steel Valley looking for new football coach
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Steel Valley's Man of Steele has stepped down.
Rod Steele, who has coached the Ironmen football program since 2010, submitted a letter of resignation to the Steel Valley school board that was accepted at its meeting last week. School athletic director Shawn McCallister confirmed the resignation Friday afternoon.
Steele guided Steel Valley to a 16-15 record in three seasons and three berths in the WPIAL Class AA playoffs. The Ironmen, however, could not win a postseason game, as they lost to Beaver Falls in 2010 and to eventual WPIAL champion Aliquippa the past two seasons.
Steel Valley (4-6 in 2012) has not won a postseason game since 2007.
Steel Valley has had its share of injury problems the past two seasons, which have crippled its chances in what has become one of the most top-heavy conferences in the WPIAL. Either South Fayette or Seton-La Salle has won at least a share of the Century Conference title every year since 2007, when Steel Valley went undefeated in the regular season before losing to Beaver Falls in the WPIAL Class AA quarterfinals.
This season the Ironmen lost four of their final five games, including their last three against South Allegheny, McGuffey and Aliquippa.
It is unclear who the district is considering to replace Steele.
Keith Barnes is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at email@example.com or 412-664-9161 Ext. 1977.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitt overcomes adversity, Virginia to improve to 4-1
- Penn State sheds conservative playcalling in rout of Indiana
- Man jumps from Liberty Bridge, dies
- Touchstone program forges Frazier grad’s interest in art
- Pittsburgh firefighters rescue person from Point Breeze house fire
- Pirates say goodbye to veteran leaders Burnett, Ramirez
- Energy efficiency goes mainstream with help of regulations, demand
- Safety of credit cards up to banks
- Tours of Nemacolin Castle in Brownsville offer history, ghost stories
- Storyteller brings ghost tales to Rostraver library event
- Zombie Stomp to take over streets of Finleyville