Gateway snaps losing skid, 5-1
By Michael Love
Published: Wednesday, Dec. 26, 2012, 8:56 p.m.
Kiski Area scored the first goal in last week's PIHL Class AA game with Gateway at Center Ice Arena in Delmont.
That was all the Cavaliers would muster.
Gateway exploded for four goals in the second period and added one more in the third to score a 5-1 win and snap a five game losing streak.
The Gators, now 2-7, hadn't tasted victory since a 4-2 triumph over Plum on Nov. 8.
Kiski Area fell to 2-8.
The Cavaliers came into the game with a pair of wins over Franklin Regional.
Senior Jonathan Kasper got Gateway on the board 6:33 into the second period with a goal off an assist from fellow senior Taylor Siwik.
Siwik then got in the scoring act only 19 seconds later. Freshmen Ryan Taylor and Brandon Dusch provided assists.
Gateway went down a man at the 9:49 mark, as senior Cam Cacolice was whistled for roughing.
Undaunted, the Gators converted a short-handed opportunity into a goal at the 11:33 mark, as Kasper tallied his second of the game and third overall since returning to the team three games ago.
Freshman William McAllister capped the second-period scoring for Gateway with his second goal in as many games at the 12:05 mark. Kasper assisted on the goal, his third assist on the season.
Siwik, with an assist from Cacolice, scored with 4:45 left to set the final. He now leads the Gators with nine goals in eight games this season.
Junior goaltender Tyler Perhac stopped 29 of 30 Kiski shots to post the victory, while Gateway also fired off 32 shots.
Gateway and Kiski Area will play again when both teams resume the season in the new year. The Gators will play the hosts on Jan. 3 at 7:45 p.m. at Center Ice.
Michael Love is a staff writer with Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5825 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Switch in pairings helps Penguins defensemen find groove in Game 3
- Penguins insider: Malkin found confidence in Game 3
- Kovacevic: No science to solving power play
- Woman, 24, dies in Wilkinsburg crash
- Husband to stand trial in Derry middle school teacher’s murder
- SCI-Pittsburgh inmate taken to AGH after ‘severe beating’
- Steelers pick up defensive end Heyward’s option for 2015 season
- Heyl: Even crooks know UPMC’s full of it
- ACC announces Pitt’s opponents for next 2 seasons; Powell signs with Dukes
- Pirates notebook: MLB metes out suspensions
- Blue Jackets notebook: Columbus wants another crack at playing with lead