High school roundup: Strong 2nd period sparks Freeport hockey team
TribLIVE Sports Videos
A see-saw encounter with Serra Catholic ended in Freeport's favor Thursday night at Rostraver Ice Garden.
The Yellowjackets (8-1-1) scored three straight goals in less than three minutes in the second period to pull away in an 8-4 win over Serra Catholic (6-4).
Greg Newman started the momentum-shifting run with a goal eight minutes into the second period. Tyler Sherrieb added to the lead a little more than a minute later, and Hunter Kepple scored the game's final goal shortly thereafter.
Kepple finished with two goals, as did Cole Hepler, who scored the game-deciding tally. Newman finished with three points.
Tyler Speis had two goals and an assist for Serra Catholic.
Matt Huston started the final two periods in net for Freeport and stopped 17 of 18 shots.
Ford City 13, Frazier 3 — Marcus McCall contributed six assists, and Josh Oliver and Luke Gross each had five-point nights for Ford City (9-1-1) in the Open Class win.
Oliver finished with two goals and three assists; Gross had three and two. Joe Cippel added two goals and two assists.
Chance McClaine and Adam Cogley split time in net to share the shutout. They combined for eight saves.
Austin Ulm made 27 saves for Frazier (2-10).
Westmont Hilltop 3, Kittanning 0 — Sebastian Ragno made 22 saves to earn the shutout win for Westmont Hilltop in Class A action.
Brian Yost scored a power-play goal in the second period, and Westmont Hilltop (7-3-1) added two more tallies early in the third.
Cameron Langham had 25 saves in net for Kittanning (6-3-1).
West Shamokin 39, Freeport 29 — A strong second half led to a nonsection home win for West Shamokin (5-5), which trailed, 16-14, after two quarters.
Jill Glover scored a game-high 17 points, and Lizzy Cornish added eight for the Lady Wolves.
Jess Aulicino led Freeport (4-6) with nine points.
Deer Lakes 76, Apollo-Ridge 43 — Nichole Kearns led four Deer Lakes players in double figures with 18 points as the Class-AA No. 3 Lancers (9-0, 3-0) cruised to a Section 1-AA win.
Ashley Emminger led Apollo-Ridge (7-3, 1-2) with 20 points.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- East Huntingdon man dies following police chase
- Giants, Bumgarner shut out Pirates in wild-card game
- Rossi: Pirates can’t waste McCutchen’s prime
- McKeesport OKs taking vacant homes via eminent domain
- Duquesne teachers, district reach tentative agreement
- C-SPAN bus brings lessons to McKeesport Area students
- Highmark to increase premiums, limit access to health care in new plans
- Steelers pressing to create opportunities to get to quarterback
- Pirates’ Martin calls crowd chant ‘petty special’
- Consol Energy cutting retiree health benefits, phasing out pension
- Woman dies in fall at McConnells Mill State Park