High school roundup: Strong 2nd period sparks Freeport hockey team
TribLIVE Sports Videos
A see-saw encounter with Serra Catholic ended in Freeport's favor Thursday night at Rostraver Ice Garden.
The Yellowjackets (8-1-1) scored three straight goals in less than three minutes in the second period to pull away in an 8-4 win over Serra Catholic (6-4).
Greg Newman started the momentum-shifting run with a goal eight minutes into the second period. Tyler Sherrieb added to the lead a little more than a minute later, and Hunter Kepple scored the game's final goal shortly thereafter.
Kepple finished with two goals, as did Cole Hepler, who scored the game-deciding tally. Newman finished with three points.
Tyler Speis had two goals and an assist for Serra Catholic.
Matt Huston started the final two periods in net for Freeport and stopped 17 of 18 shots.
Ford City 13, Frazier 3 — Marcus McCall contributed six assists, and Josh Oliver and Luke Gross each had five-point nights for Ford City (9-1-1) in the Open Class win.
Oliver finished with two goals and three assists; Gross had three and two. Joe Cippel added two goals and two assists.
Chance McClaine and Adam Cogley split time in net to share the shutout. They combined for eight saves.
Austin Ulm made 27 saves for Frazier (2-10).
Westmont Hilltop 3, Kittanning 0 — Sebastian Ragno made 22 saves to earn the shutout win for Westmont Hilltop in Class A action.
Brian Yost scored a power-play goal in the second period, and Westmont Hilltop (7-3-1) added two more tallies early in the third.
Cameron Langham had 25 saves in net for Kittanning (6-3-1).
West Shamokin 39, Freeport 29 — A strong second half led to a nonsection home win for West Shamokin (5-5), which trailed, 16-14, after two quarters.
Jill Glover scored a game-high 17 points, and Lizzy Cornish added eight for the Lady Wolves.
Jess Aulicino led Freeport (4-6) with nine points.
Deer Lakes 76, Apollo-Ridge 43 — Nichole Kearns led four Deer Lakes players in double figures with 18 points as the Class-AA No. 3 Lancers (9-0, 3-0) cruised to a Section 1-AA win.
Ashley Emminger led Apollo-Ridge (7-3, 1-2) with 20 points.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Four players selected for All-Star Game
- Pawlowski halts his U.S. Senate campaign
- Accident closes Route 22 in Murrysville
- In 2005, Cosby said he got drugs to give women for sex
- Torn thumb ligament puts Josh Harrison on DL
- McCandless mom suspected of drowning sons found competent to stand trial
- South Carolina Senate backs removing Confederate batte flag from Statehouse grounds
- Pirates get journeyman Ishikawa off waivers; outfielder Marte injured
- Militants launch deadly attacks against Muslims, Christians in Nigeria
- PennDOT team decides what spells trouble on vehicle license plates
- Fake urine merchant sentenced to probation