Ford City cruises in PIHL Open Class quarterfinal
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Ford City hockey team lived up to its status as the PIHL Open Class Chiefs Cup favorite during a quarterfinal win at the Belmont Complex on Sunday night.
Ahead by six goals after the first period, the No. 1 seed Sabers (19-2-1) cruised to an 11-1 victory over No. 8 Carrick (5-17) and advanced to the Chiefs Cup semifinals for the sixth season in a row. They'll play No. 4 Hollidaysburg (15-5-1) at 7:15 p.m. Tuesday at the Belmont Complex.
Eric Lindey finished with a team-high five points (two goals, three assists), Robert Kinsey had four (one goal, three assists), and Josh Oliver, John Phelps and Jesse Valasek each added three points.
“Having to play down the stretch to win the section and get the No. 1 seed really made a difference for us,” coach Glen Kilgore said.
The team Ford City will host Tuesday delivered the Sabers a 5-3 loss on Nov. 29. Hollidaysburg, a 6-5 double-overtime winner in the quarterfinals, features the Open Class' top two regular-season scorers, William Power (61 goals, 44 assists) and Brandon Ritchey (41, 55).
Kilgore welcomes the opportunity to play a second home game in the playoffs — the Sabers, a No. 1 seed last season, suffered a semifinal upset.
“I think definitely playing at home at the Belmont is advantage for any team who plays there,” Kilgore said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pair of NYC officers killed in ambush shooting
- Butler legislator gives weekly GOP address
- Outdoors notices: Dec. 21, 2014
- Butler boxer training for Gold Gloves after winning recent bout
- Newbill scores 20 as Penn State holds off Drexel
- Pittsburgh police break up customer fights over Air Jordan 11 shoes
- Undersized Beachum quietly excels at 1 of game’s pivotal positions
- Real estate union: Howard Hanna buys Langholz Wilson Ellis
- Cal U students aid Fayette survey
- Coal ash sites have tainted hundreds of waterways, aquifers
- Police crash victim’s death ruled accidental