Local roundup: Freeport hockey rolls past GCC
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Freeport's hockey team heads into its season finale with its PIHL Class A playoff positioning secure, but, as Thursday night's blowout win indicated, the Yellowjackets aren't easing up down the stretch.
With eight first-period goals, Freeport routed Greensburg Central Catholic, 12-1, at the Belmont Complex.
Devin Christy and Cole Hepler each had a hat trick, while Thomas Intrieri earned three assists for the Yellowjackets (16-4-1). Greg Newman also finished with three points (one goal, two assists).
Freeport held Greensburg Central Catholic (0-22) to four shots on goal, and Katie Hill earned the victory in net.
Freeport, which will receive the No. 3 seed in Class A, closes its regular-season schedule at Thomas Jefferson (13-8).
Quaker Valley 5, Kittanning 2 — Kittanning (13-8-1) trailed, 3-0, after two periods, but Christian Miller's goal cut the deficit midway through the third. Quaker Valley (22-0) answered with two goals scored 35 seconds apart.
Eli Johns also scored for Kittanning, and Cameron Langham made 38 saves.
Jonathan Pijar had 15 saves for the Quakers.
WPIAL championships — Kittanning junior Morgan Joseph cut more than a second and a half from her 100-yard butterfly time at the University of Pittsburgh's Trees Pool during an event in which she finished eighth. The mark dropped from 1:01.97 to 1:00.25.
Joseph will compete again Friday in the 100 backstroke.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Gameday: Pirates at Brewers, Sept. 3, 2015
- Pennsylvania’s new online voter registration racks up 5,000 applicants
- Hacker stuns Dayton family with computer takeover
- CCAC solar panels to power up after decade of delay
- Shooting that killed Winchester Thurston grad surprised witnesses
- In reworking contract, Steelers WR Brown gets hefty pay raise
- Uniontown first responders use antidote to revive man who overdosed on heroin
- Steelers running back eager to prove he can help bridge gap to Bell
- South Fayette native looks forward to competing in Miss America Pageant
- Two wild-card format hurting Pirates in short term
- Officials stop packages with ‘inappropriate’ material intended for Murrysville girls