Freeport, Kittanning meet in PIHL playoffs
TribLIVE Sports Videos
A local team is guaranteed to make it to the semifinals of the PIHL Penguin Cup playoffs.
That's because a pair of area teams — Section 3 rivals in some of the players' eyes — will meet in the quarterfinals.
And the site for the Class A second-round game was an easy choice. Belmont Ice Complex in Kittanning is home ice for both teams.
Third-seeded Freeport (16-5-1) faces No. 6 Kittanning (13-8-1) at 6:15 p.m. Thursday at Belmont.
Most playoff games are scheduled for Monday night. That includes No. 8 Deer Lakes (8-13-1) facing No. 9 South Fayette (5-16-1) in another Class A game at 9:10 p.m. at Ice Connection in Valencia.
Also Monday, in Class AA, No. 8 Plum (8-10-1) hosts No. 9 North Hills (8-11) at 9 p.m. at Valley Sports Complex.
—Bill Beckner Jr.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Vanilla Mike too polite on officiating
- Cubs’ 3-run, 9th-inning rally upends Pirates
- Fleury’s performances have Penguins still believing vs. Rangers
- Rossi: Rutherford falling apart, too
- Super-agent Boras says Pirates will have opportunity to re-sign Alvarez, Cole
- Penguins Insider: Series has enough gamesmanship
- Penguins seek way to improve line changes
- $3.5M glass sculpture’s story begins, ends in rural community of Dunbar
- Pittsburgh union serving TV, film production looking for lots of help
- Steelers open daunting season at Patriots, play 5 prime-time games
- Alle-Kiski roundup: Freeport baseball team downs 1st-place Deer Lakes