Freeport, Kittanning meet in PIHL playoffs
TribLIVE Sports Videos
A local team is guaranteed to make it to the semifinals of the PIHL Penguin Cup playoffs.
That's because a pair of area teams — Section 3 rivals in some of the players' eyes — will meet in the quarterfinals.
And the site for the Class A second-round game was an easy choice. Belmont Ice Complex in Kittanning is home ice for both teams.
Third-seeded Freeport (16-5-1) faces No. 6 Kittanning (13-8-1) at 6:15 p.m. Thursday at Belmont.
Most playoff games are scheduled for Monday night. That includes No. 8 Deer Lakes (8-13-1) facing No. 9 South Fayette (5-16-1) in another Class A game at 9:10 p.m. at Ice Connection in Valencia.
Also Monday, in Class AA, No. 8 Plum (8-10-1) hosts No. 9 North Hills (8-11) at 9 p.m. at Valley Sports Complex.
—Bill Beckner Jr.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Liriano, Pirates complete sweep of Tigers
- Kessel ‘excited’ to be a Penguin
- Hurricanes owner rips Rutherford, Penguins
- Attorney General’s twin sister sued by FBI agent ex-boyfriend
- Wolf vetoes bill privatizing Pennsylvania’s liquor system
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Indians, July 3, 2015
- Man who threatened to jump from bridge in custody
- Rossi: Wild Wednesday proves Steelers rule
- Donor’s mother overjoyed as 2-year-old liver transplant recipient recovers
- Blairsville-Saltsburg School District looks to fill music, buildings and grounds positions
- United School Board finalizes 1.7-mill tax increase