Freeport, Kittanning meet in PIHL playoffs
TribLIVE Sports Videos
A local team is guaranteed to make it to the semifinals of the PIHL Penguin Cup playoffs.
That's because a pair of area teams — Section 3 rivals in some of the players' eyes — will meet in the quarterfinals.
And the site for the Class A second-round game was an easy choice. Belmont Ice Complex in Kittanning is home ice for both teams.
Third-seeded Freeport (16-5-1) faces No. 6 Kittanning (13-8-1) at 6:15 p.m. Thursday at Belmont.
Most playoff games are scheduled for Monday night. That includes No. 8 Deer Lakes (8-13-1) facing No. 9 South Fayette (5-16-1) in another Class A game at 9:10 p.m. at Ice Connection in Valencia.
Also Monday, in Class AA, No. 8 Plum (8-10-1) hosts No. 9 North Hills (8-11) at 9 p.m. at Valley Sports Complex.
—Bill Beckner Jr.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: After L.A., NFL should tread carefully
- Starter Liriano strikes out 12, leads Pirates to series sweep of Mets
- Acme man’s ephemeral sculptures appear to defy laws of physics
- Oncologists wary of scaled-back guidelines in cancer screenings
- Neighbor arrested after McKeesport house fire, authorities say
- Kennywood fanatic, 82, rides Jack Rabbit 95 times in a row
- Early success in White House race a pleasant surprise for Carson
- Memorial Day service in National Cemetery of the Alleghenies still growing
- Posthumous election wins have happened in Western Pa., nation
- Unquestionable courage & sacrifice
- Motorist killed in Armstrong County rollover crash