SSA hockey team dominates early, falls late
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Shady Side Academy hockey team dominated play in its game Sunday against St. Mary's Prep Hockey of Orchard Park, Mich. until well into the third period, before suffering a heartbreaking 2-1 loss.
The Indians started out of the blocks fast. They had two first-period goals waived off before Jake Lydon finally got the first goal of the game scored at 6:52 of the second period, with assists from Jake Kleindl and Keaton Baum.
The game remained 1-0 deep into the third period when St Mary's tied it up.
The Indians had a number of chances and near misses in the third, but were unable to pull out a goal.
Finally, with under a minute to go and the game tied at 1-1, St. Mary's scored the game-winner.
Scott Trellis played a strong game in goal, stopping 42 of 44 shots.
The Indians will be hosting their annual Thanksgiving tournament this Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Deer Lakes rolls to PIHL playoff win
- Quaker Valley leaning on power play in PIHL playoffs
- Armstrong hockey earns another trip to the semifinals
- No excuses made for Plum hockey’s tough season
- Mars’ persistence pays off in 7-0 victory over Freeport
- Gateway hockey coach encouraged for future despite 2-win season
- Hempfield hockey team bolts to big lead, tops Thomas Jefferson, 7-4