SSA hockey team dominates early, falls late
By Marty Stewart
Published: Tuesday, Nov. 26, 2013, 8:31 p.m.
The Shady Side Academy hockey team dominated play in its game Sunday against St. Mary's Prep Hockey of Orchard Park, Mich. until well into the third period, before suffering a heartbreaking 2-1 loss.
The Indians started out of the blocks fast. They had two first-period goals waived off before Jake Lydon finally got the first goal of the game scored at 6:52 of the second period, with assists from Jake Kleindl and Keaton Baum.
The game remained 1-0 deep into the third period when St Mary's tied it up.
The Indians had a number of chances and near misses in the third, but were unable to pull out a goal.
Finally, with under a minute to go and the game tied at 1-1, St. Mary's scored the game-winner.
Scott Trellis played a strong game in goal, stopping 42 of 44 shots.
The Indians will be hosting their annual Thanksgiving tournament this Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Switch in pairings helps Penguins defensemen find groove in Game 3
- Penguins insider: Malkin found confidence in Game 3
- Kovacevic: No science to solving power play
- Pirates notebook: MLB metes out suspensions
- SCI-Pittsburgh inmate taken to AGH after ‘severe beating’
- Husband to stand trial in Derry middle school teacher’s murder
- ACC announces Pitt’s opponents for next 2 seasons; Powell signs with Dukes
- Steelers pick up defensive end Heyward’s option for 2015 season
- Pitcher Cueto shuts down Pirates as Reds cruise to victory at PNC
- Pennsylvania Gov. Corbett wants candidate Wolf to release tax records
- Blue Jackets notebook: Columbus wants another crack at playing with lead