SSA hockey team dominates early, falls late
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Shady Side Academy hockey team dominated play in its game Sunday against St. Mary's Prep Hockey of Orchard Park, Mich. until well into the third period, before suffering a heartbreaking 2-1 loss.
The Indians started out of the blocks fast. They had two first-period goals waived off before Jake Lydon finally got the first goal of the game scored at 6:52 of the second period, with assists from Jake Kleindl and Keaton Baum.
The game remained 1-0 deep into the third period when St Mary's tied it up.
The Indians had a number of chances and near misses in the third, but were unable to pull out a goal.
Finally, with under a minute to go and the game tied at 1-1, St. Mary's scored the game-winner.
Scott Trellis played a strong game in goal, stopping 42 of 44 shots.
The Indians will be hosting their annual Thanksgiving tournament this Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Johnston must reach Malkin in Moscow
- Pirates notebook: Recovering Cole exceeds expectations in simulated game
- Steelers are in familiar territory going into training camp in Latrobe
- Liriano, Snider lift Pirates to a victory over Dodgers at PNC Park
- Air Algerie plane with 116 disappears from radar in Africa
- New Penguins coach to meet with Malkin
- Hookah bar on tap for Greensburg
- 3 identified in Route 66 crash near Delmont
- Ex-Milwaukee archbishop told he can’t spend final days at St. Vincent Archabbey
- Truck drivers taken to hospital after Pa. Turnpike crash in Butler County
- Fayette woman dies in fall from ATV on National Pike