SSA hockey team dominates early, falls late
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Shady Side Academy hockey team dominated play in its game Sunday against St. Mary's Prep Hockey of Orchard Park, Mich. until well into the third period, before suffering a heartbreaking 2-1 loss.
The Indians started out of the blocks fast. They had two first-period goals waived off before Jake Lydon finally got the first goal of the game scored at 6:52 of the second period, with assists from Jake Kleindl and Keaton Baum.
The game remained 1-0 deep into the third period when St Mary's tied it up.
The Indians had a number of chances and near misses in the third, but were unable to pull out a goal.
Finally, with under a minute to go and the game tied at 1-1, St. Mary's scored the game-winner.
Scott Trellis played a strong game in goal, stopping 42 of 44 shots.
The Indians will be hosting their annual Thanksgiving tournament this Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Many Penguins free agents expected to depart
- More witness intimidation charges filed against Plum teacher
- Scaife trustees seek dismissal of siblings’ lawsuit
- American Airlines manager arrested in Pittsburgh on sex crimes charges
- Suspected allies of beach gunman arrested in Tunisia
- Kuwait mosque bomber slipped security watch in Saudi Arabia, Bahrain
- Shady Side Academy graduate Harchelroad excels in 3 sports
- Penguins re-sign defenseman Cole to 3-year deal
- Deer reporting failures spark debate for Pa. Game Commission
- Scouts think Penguins could regain luster with minor tinkering
- High school notebook: Hempfield softball star Ryan commits to Notre Dame