SSA hockey team dominates early, falls late
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Shady Side Academy hockey team dominated play in its game Sunday against St. Mary's Prep Hockey of Orchard Park, Mich. until well into the third period, before suffering a heartbreaking 2-1 loss.
The Indians started out of the blocks fast. They had two first-period goals waived off before Jake Lydon finally got the first goal of the game scored at 6:52 of the second period, with assists from Jake Kleindl and Keaton Baum.
The game remained 1-0 deep into the third period when St Mary's tied it up.
The Indians had a number of chances and near misses in the third, but were unable to pull out a goal.
Finally, with under a minute to go and the game tied at 1-1, St. Mary's scored the game-winner.
Scott Trellis played a strong game in goal, stopping 42 of 44 shots.
The Indians will be hosting their annual Thanksgiving tournament this Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Wedding aboard Pittsburgh’s Gateway Clipper ends in arrests
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- Steelers Lookahead: Previewing Sunday’s game vs. Cleveland
- Carnegie Mellon University picks architect for business school
- Nearing 25 years together, WPXI anchors Johnson, Finnegan defy odds
- Housing market remains ‘disaster’ in Westmoreland County
- Campus visit sells 4-star Ohio recruit Hall on Panthers
- Harrison rejects criticism of disorderly conduct ordinance
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense
- Western Pa. districts aim to win back students from cyber charters