Plum set to face Bishop Canevin
TribLIVE Sports Videos
With eight games completed in a 22-game schedule, the Plum varsity ice hockey team finds itself at 4-2-2, and its 10 points puts it in a tie for third place in PIHL Class AA with Armstrong.
The Mustangs suffered November losses to Armstrong (5-2) and AA co-leader Hampton (6-1), and Plum owns ties against Erie Prep (4-2-1, nine points) and Montour (1-5-1).
Moon, Greater Latrobe, Franklin Regional and North Hills have all fallen victim to the Mustangs, and Plum opens the December portion of its schedule Thursday evening against Bishop Canevin.
The Crusaders are tied with Hampton in the AA standings with a 6-1 record.
Because of the Thanksgiving holiday, Plum hasn't played since its strong 3-0 victory over West Allegheny on Nov. 25 at Pittsburgh Ice Arena in New Kensington.
That night, both the Mustangs and Indians fired off 34 shots, but the Plum defense and junior goaltender James Borriello stood tall.
Plum got a goal in every period against West Allegheny.
The Mustangs got all they would need late in the first period, as sophomore Zachary Keller put one past Indians goaltender Grant Gerstner for the first goal of his varsity career.
Juniors Austin Samarco and Blake Biertempfel assisted on the goal with 2:21 left in the opening period.
Freshman Dillon Joyce made it 2-0 with an unassisted, shorthanded goal — his third of the season — only 2:44 into the second period.
Junior David Stonebraker, tied for fifth in AA in points with 20 (12 goals, eight assists), capped the scoring in the third period with a goal assisted by senior Joe Randazzo. The assist was Randazzo's seventh of the season, and he is second on the team in goals with 11.
Both Randazzo (junior team) and Stonebraker (illness) have missed one game this season.
Michael Love is a staff writer with Trib Total Media. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter @Mlove_Trib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Pitt does its duty
- Steelers Lookahead: Previewing Sunday’s game vs. Cleveland
- Ford City explores beefing up code enforcement
- Wedding aboard Pittsburgh’s Gateway Clipper ends in arrests
- RX Fit brings cross-training to Ford City
- New Dayton food pantry sees more people each week
- TED Talks event to appeal to Pittsburgh millenials
- Revenue from special Pennsylvania Monuments license plates to help maintain monuments at Gettysburg
- Allegheny County’s crime lab ranks up there with world’s best
- Virginia GOP Senate candidate Gillespie piles up mileage in pursuit of Warner
- If ‘evil’ doesn’t apply to ISIS, what does?