TJ hockey team to face Quaker Valley in PIHL showdown
TribLIVE Sports Videos
It's showdown time in the PIHL Class A division.
Thomas Jefferson will close out the first half of its 2013-14 season tonight, Thursday, at Airport Ice Arena with a pivotal matchup against host Quaker Valley.
Both teams sit among the Class A division leaders. Thomas Jefferson is 6-3-1 overall; the Quakers are 9-1.
“We have a big game versus Quaker Valley to close out the first half of the season,” Bill Crousey, the Jaguars' head coach, said. “The team has been playing good hockey the past three games and is looking to put a strong second half of the season together.
“We need to continue to grow as a team and play our style of hockey for that to happen.”
At the start of the week, Thomas Jefferson boasted four players in the division's top 10 in scoring.
Nick Tamburi and Zach Uhlyar, both senior forwards, have accounted for 22 points apiece. Tamburi has scored a team-leading 13 goals, to go along with nine assists. Uhlyar owns a team-leading 13 assists, as well as nine goals.
Tommy Kimmick and Brendan Mason, also forwards, are next in line offensively for the Jaguars with 18 and 17 points, respectively. Kimmick has nine goals, which includes a team-high four power-play goals, and nine assists. Mason owns seven goals and 10 assists.
The Jaguars have outscored the opposition by a wide 52-32 overall margin.
“The team's goals-against (average) is lower than any other season,” Crousey said. “That is due to the strong goaltending of (Phil) Ripepi and (Jordan) Blosl, and the solid play on defense.”
Defensive stalwarts this season include the likes of Kevin Ringling, Kevin McCormick, Mike Krieger and Brad Delenko.
Ray Fisher is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at 412-388-5820 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers stalled by Seahawks, on outside of AFC wild-card picture
- Rossi: It’s past time for NFL to protect players
- Steelers’ Roethlisberger reported symptoms that led to his exit vs. Seahawks
- Family of man accused of shooting St. Clair officer say allegations don’t fit his character
- Steelers players say they support Tomlin’s attempts at deception
- Quaker Valley girls ‘up to the challenege’ of reaching WPIAL playoffs
- Week 12 — Steelers-Seahawks gameday grades
- Sports Deli is latest tenant to say goodbye to Parkway Center Mall
- Steelers notebook: Seahawks’ Sherman gets better of WR Brown
- Veterans courts in Pennsylvania dubbed remedy for recidivism
- Western Pa. sportsmen: Camaraderie, traditions set tone for deer season