Seniors shine for Shady Side Academy hockey
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Shady Side Academy hockey team played a two-game series with St. Michael's College of Toronto last weekend and came away with a clean sweep.
Friday was SSA's Senior Night, and all four of the Indians' goals were scored by seniors.
The Indians got on the board early with a goal from senior Pete McDonagh and assists from senior Keaton Baum and Alec Schmidtetter. The Indians also got goals from seniors Baum, Jake Kleindl and Jake Lydon, with assists by Pete McDonagh, Baum and John McDonagh.
Shady Side held off a late rush by the talented Canadian team to come away with the 4-3 victory. Goalie Ryan Wagner stopped 32 of 35 shots.
In the Saturday rematch, the Indians found themselves down by two after the first period.
AJ Oppenheimer got the Indians on the board in the second period with an assist from Lydon. St. Michael's scored, and again the Indians found themselves down by two.
The Indians fought back when Baum found the back of the net assisted by Adam D'Angelo and Oppenheimer, bringing the deficit to one. Then, with four minutes left, Shady Side shut down the potent St. Michael's offense and tied the score on a goal by Kleindl.
At the end of regulation, the score was tied 3-3. After a five-minute scoreless overtime period, the game went to a shootout.
Shady Side scored on both of its shootout attempts (Kleindl, Lydon), and goaltender Scott Trellis shut down the St. Michael's shooters and stopped 32 of 35 shots for the game.
FC - Pine-Richland
The Fox Chapel High School hockey team was no match for Pine-Richland on Feb. 4 as the Foxes fell by a 12-1 score.
Jasper Uricchio scored the FC goal with an assist from Ben Friedland.
Gabriel Mitrakos had 32 saves for the Foxes in goal.
The PIHL All-Star Showcase was held Sunday at the RMU Island Sports Center, and Fox Chapel brothers Anthony and Chad Veltri played in the Class AAA game for the Northeast team.
The pair helped their team to a 3-2 overtime win.
Anthony scored in the third period, and Chad recorded 16 saves in goal.
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Concert aims to heal wounds of Armstrong veterans
- Grant helps Armstrong agency provide cribs to needy families
- Armstrong fire departments sharpen river rescue skills
- 2B Walker, Pirates smash through Tigers pitching in road victory
- Starkey: Rutherford hits jackpot with Kessel
- Rossi: Wild Wednesday proves Steelers rule
- Penguins get their man in making trade with Toronto for Kessel
- Penguins notebook: Rutherford proves savvy in deal
- Pirates notebook: Cole cool about hostile comment
- Gameday: Pirates at Tigers, July 2, 2015
- MLB notebook: Angels GM quits amid latest rift with Scioscia