A-K Valley PIHL semifinal capsules
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Armstrong (17-5-1) vs. Erie Cathedral Prep (17-4-2)
7 p.m., Tuesday at RMU Island Sports Center
Winner plays: Bishop Canevin/Hampton winner
Players to watch: A: Hunter Grafton (22G, 43A), Christian Miller (48G, 17A); CP: Ben Eliason (23G, 39A), Trevor Faulkner (18G, 32A).
Slap shots: The second-seeded Ramblers will test Armstrong goalie Taylor Smouse with a potent offense, as Erie Cathedral Prep totaled 144 goals in the regular season, just one short of No. 1 Bishop Canevin for tops in Class AA. … Cathedral Prep has allowed 3.0 goals per game this season behind goaltender Grant Kennedy, but third-seeded Armstrong has scored at least five goals in seven consecutive games. … The teams split regular-season meetings this year. Armstrong won a 7-3 decision Nov. 21, before Cathedral Prep claimed a 7-4 victory Jan. 13.
Freeport (15-5-2) vs. Quaker Valley (22-1)
6:45 p.m., Monday at RMU Island Sports Center
Winner plays: Mars/Thomas Jefferson winner
Players to watch: F: Cole Hepler (34G, 24A), Michael Frazetta (10G, 27A); QV: James Perkins (44G, 32A), Connor Quinn (35G, 39A).
Slap shots: The top-seeded Quakers are the two-time defending Penguins Cup Class A champions. … Freeport, seeded No. 4 and seeking its first Penguins Cup title since 2007, played Quaker Valley tough during the regular season with two losses by a combined three goals. … The goalie matchup will likely feature Freeport's Matt Huston (6-4-1) and Quaker Valley's Parker Sherry (18-1).
— Jason Orfao
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Big plays cost Steelers defense in 43-19 preseason loss at Bills
- Happ’s strong start, Ramirez’s homer pace Pirates past Rockies
- Rossi: Beleaguered Steelers need MVP from Big Ben
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin mum on Bryant suspension
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle’s faith in Polanco pays off
- Pitt’s cancer institute marks 30 years with eye toward future
- Pitt star running back Conner remains grounded despite success
- Boys soccer preview: Fresh of winning Section 1-AAA title, Penn-Trafford boys hope to maintain momentum with new coach
- U.S. closes in on offshore tax evasion
- Architecture: Pittsburgh history in 10 houses
- Shale gas violations down as DEP steps up inspections