PIHL Penguins Cup playoffs roundup: Penn-Trafford beats North Allegheny in overtime
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Jacob Miller's goal in overtime — his third of the game — propelled No. 5 Penn-Trafford (14-8) to a 5-4 victory over No. 4 North Allegheny in a PIHL Class AAA Penguins Cup quarterfinal game Thursday at Warrendale Bladerunners.
The Warriors opened a 2-0 lead after first-period goals by Patrick Cortazzo and Miller, but the Tigers (12-8-1) rallied with three consecutive goals to pull ahead.
Miller's goal in the third period gave Penn-Trafford a 4-3 lead before Martin Hubert tied the game with less than a minute to play.
Peters Township 4, Seneca Valley 1 — Behind a pair of Adam Alavi goals, No. 2 Peters Township (17-4) earned a victory in the Class AAA quarterfinals. Brian Baker made 25 saves for the Indians.
Pine-Richland 4, Butler 2 — Nicholas Jenkins, Andrew Vislosky, Matthew Cole and Andres Binotto scored to help No. 6 Pine-Richland (13-8-1) to a Class AAA victory. Jacob Campbell and Connor Scott scored for No. 3 Butler (13-8).
— Staff reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers know fast start could be key to upcoming season
- Steelers receiver Heyward-Bey looks to make most of chance
- Steelers formalize practice squad
- Scientists dismiss dire outlook for Western Pennsylvania winter weather
- Rossi: Cole perfect pitcher to start pivotal series for Pirates
- Shadyside’s A Fair in the Park arts-and-crafts fest marks ‘benchmark year’
- Former Clairton, Pitt cornerback Coles enrolls at Duquesne
- Pirates notebook: Bucs unlikely to make trade before deadline
- Deer Lakes golf team winning with a workmanlike approach
- On the border of Westmoreland, Fayette, Jacobs Creek section is sacred spot
- Western Pennsylvania workers’ names echo different career paths