Local roundup: Southmoreland, Charleroi battle to draw
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Luke Zeleznik scored both goals for Southmoreland, as the Scotties and Charleroi (8-5-2, 5-5-2) played to a 2-2 overtime tie Saturday in a Section 6-AA match.
Zeleznik scored both goals in the first half, including on a penalty kick. Brian Shaffer recorded six saves for the Scotties.
Southmoreland (5-8-1, 5-5-1), which remains alive in the playoff picture, needs a win over Laurel Highlands to clinch a playoff berth.
Penn-Trafford 9, Connellsville 1 — Elizabeth Becker scored her first career goal for Connellsville (3-10, 0-10) in a Section 1-AAA action match against Penn-Trafford (12-3, 10-1).
Becker's goal was the first Connellsville has scored against Penn-Trafford, which was led by Casey Aunskt and Maggie Mastrogiancoma.
Carmichaels 48, Geibel 15 — Brandon Kushnar and Martin Berish each had touchdown runs for Geibel (0-6, 0-5), but it wasn't enough in a Class A Tri-County South Conference loss Saturday.
Josh Mundell had three touchdown runs to lead Carmichaels (4-2, 3-2) to the win.
Penn State Fayette 3, Penn State New Kensington 0 — Roaring Lions coach Nancy Wheeler notched her 100th victory after Penn State Fayette (15-5, 8-0) defeated Penn State New Kensington, 25-13, 25-14, 25-8.
Sam Helmantoler led the Roaring Lions with 17 kills and six digs.
Men's cross country
Pitt-Greensburg Invitational — Penn State Fayette had a total of 49 points to win the Pitt-Greensburg Invitational at the Westmoreland County Fairgrounds. The Roaring Lions, who finished with three runners in the top 10, were led by Kyle Zinn, who finished third (18:35.14). John Lukart (19:35.62) finished sixth, and Kevin Diamond (19:51.65) finished ninth.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin bringing officials to practice
- Port Authority police discuss bus crash with county prosecutors
- Rossi: Pirates plan to carry Hurdle deep into playoffs
- Steelers’ Tomlin does not like his coaching style to be characterized
- September ranks with driest ever in Western Pa.
- 35,000 walrus come ashore in northwest Alaska
- Pets rescued from Westmoreland house fire
- Melocchi pleads guilty in leading McKeesport gambling ring
- Penguins notebook: Malkin picture muddy
- Flags lowered to mourn Pa. state trooper shot dead during gun training
- Threat leads to evacuation of Sandy Hook school