Local roundup: Highlands girls blank Freeport
TribLIVE Sports Videos
With starting keeper Samantha Kovach out of the lineup, Highlands reserve Alyssa Graham and the Golden Rams rose to the challenge and blanked host Freeport, 2-0, on Wednesday in Section 2-AA.
Graham, a freshman, filled in at keeper and made eight saves as second-place Highlands (11-3, 9-2) recorded its ninth shutout. Natalie Richards and Kayla Beale scored for the Golden Rams.
Sophomore keeper Mayson Kiser had eight stops for Freeport (5-8-1, 4-6-1).
Kovach, a sophomore, suffered a concussion in the previous game against Mars — a 10-0 loss. Kovach said she might be able to return to action as soon as Friday.
Highlands has clinched a WPIAL playoff berth for the second year in a row.
Knoch 12, Valley 0 — Senior Krista Burdett and sophomore Saige Robertson had hat tricks, and junior Audra Hunter added two goals as Knoch (10-4, 8-3) overwhelmed Valley (2-11, 0-11) in Section 2-AA.
Kiski Area 3, Hempfield 2 — Delaney Colder, Taylor Morlacci and Stephanie Sikora scored for Kiski Area (3-10, 2-7), which slipped by Hempfield (5-6, 3-6) in Section 1-AAA after losing to the Spartans, 2-0, earlier this season.
Lexie Trkula made nine saves for Kiski Area.
Valley 4, Burrell 1 — Valley won all but the No. 2 doubles match en route to a Section 4-AA victory over rival Burrell. The teams are tied with 7-3 records in section play, and both have two games remaining.
Kiski Area 3, Latrobe 1 — Maddie Antone had 18 kills, and Liz Recchia collected 32 assists to lead Kiski Area (6-4, 5-3) past Latrobe in Section 1-AAA.
Riverview 3, Leechburg 0 — Alison Hodges dished out 30 assists, and Arden Fisher had 13 kills for Riverview (8-2, 5-2) in a Section 1-A win over Leechburg.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin bringing officials to practice
- Melocchi pleads guilty in leading McKeesport gambling ring
- Rossi: Pirates plan to carry Hurdle deep into playoffs
- Steelers’ Tomlin does not like his coaching style to be characterized
- Consol Energy Center cashes in again on payments from Rivers Casino
- Flags lowered to mourn Pa. state trooper shot dead during gun training
- Pets rescued from Westmoreland house fire
- Sparks fly at 2nd Corbett, Wolf campaign debate
- Pittsburgh rises up for a 2nd year of Pirates magic
- Penguins notebook: Malkin picture muddy
- Police identify, release people involved in I-70 collision