Penn-Trafford field hockey in playoff hunt
By Matt Grubba
Published: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 9:29 p.m.
Updated: Wednesday, October 3, 2012
Penn-Trafford's field hockey team's path to defending the WPIAL title is hitting a crucial two-week stretch.
The team entered the second half of Section 1-AAA play with a 9-2-1 overall record but a 3-1-1 section record, which left it in third place behind North Allegheny (4-0-1) and Pine-Richland (4-1-0) in league play.
The Warriors host North Allegheny at 4 p.m. Thursday and visit Pine-Richland at 7:30 p.m. on Oct. 11 in a pair of games that likely will decide if the Warriors return to the playoffs.
P-T entered the week on a three game winning streak after topping Norwin, 10-0, and nonsection opponents Mt. Lebanon and Peters Township, 5-0 and 1-0, respectively.
Leading P-T has been the offense, which is led by senior Amanda Steffey (24 goals, 9 assists), senior Sydney Pribanic (11 G, 10 A) and sophomore Isabel Siergiej (21 G, 5 A), who scored the lone goal against Peters Township unassisted.
Goalie Harry Miller has four shutouts this year, while also spending time on the field to help add depth to the defense.
Matt Grubba is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5830 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Penguins to face Bruins in Eastern Conference final
- Laurel Highland Hiking Trail a pathway to adventure for anglers
- Biertempfel: Pirates’ Alvarez continues improvement at third base
- Francona happy at the helm of rejuvenated Indians
- Minor league notebook: Kilcrease shining as reliever for Bradenton
- Some doctors seeking business experience to deal with changing health care
- 40 years later, an Indy 500 tragedy too painful to forget
- Pirates notebook: Cutter a boon for Melancon
- Safety innovations soften Brickyard’s bite for drivers
- New generation of buyers looking for right homes
- Police seek shooter who wounded man in Hill District bar
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.