High school roundup: Vikings get section win over Waynesburg
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Jordan Toohey scored two goals to lead the Mt. Pleasant girls soccer team to a 4-0 win over host Waynesburg in a Section 1-AA match Monday. Rachel Salai and Kasey Brown each scored a goal for the Vikings (8-7, 7-4). Courtney Zelmore was in goal and got the win for Mt. Pleasant.
Jeannette 3, Geibel 1 — Haley Hutchinson scored a goal, but the Gators (3-11, 2-9) dropped a Section 4-A decision to the host Jayhawks.
Connellsville vs. Laurel Highlands, Uniontown — The Laurel Highlands boys and girls cross country teams each earned the Section 2-AAA title by defeating Connellsville and host Uniontown.
In the boys race, Laurel Highlands' Adam Ennis (17:36) took second to help the Mustangs (8-0, 8-0) beat Uniontown, 26-30, and Connellsville, 17-43. The Mustangs' Michael Cecchini (17:59), Justin Kostelnick (18:00) and Steve Salanick (18:10) finished fourth through sixth.
Uniontown's Brady Guthrie (17:21) was the winner as the Red Raiders (9-1, 7-1) gained a split by defeating Connellsville, 17-38. Nate Edenfield (17:44) took third for Uniontown, followed by Paul Klatt (18:11) and Jake Cahn (18:27) in seventh and eighth.
Matt Cramer (18:28) and Joe Baughman (18:36) took ninth and 10th, respectively, for the Falcons (4-5, 4-4). Matt Ream (19:06) and Trevor Farrell (19:19) were 14th and 17th. Nick Jacobyansky (19:52) and Devin Pisarski (20:03) placed 22nd and 23rd for Connellsville.
In the girls race, Mariah Custer (20:09), Melissa McCann (20:33), Elli Monaghan (20:34), Marissa Deichert (20:39) and Bristyn Yanick (21:01) placed third through seventh as the Fillies (8-0, 8-0) beat Uniontown, 25-30, and Connellsville, 15-50.
Julie Friend (19:33) and Julie Gerber (20:04) took the top two spots as the Red Raiders (9-1, 7-1) topped Connellsville, 15-50. Jade Belloti (21:20), Rachel Diamond (21:41) and Paige Tibbe (21:52) placed eighth through 10th.
The Falcons (1-8, 1-7) did not have enough runners for a complete team score. Rachel Miller (25:23) and Haylie Eutsey (25:35) were 21st and 22nd for Connellsville. Darian Leighty (29:13) placed 25th.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Jobs on state website include ‘private party dancing,’ ‘car dates’
- Fans flock to what they hope will continue ‘magical season’
- Informant who believed life was in danger to testify
- City poised to pay firm $250k to handle lawsuit over housing funds
- Quaker Valley names new high school principal
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin bringing officials to practice
- Google Pittsburgh instrumental in fight against hackers, co-directors say
- Point State Park honored as top-notch public space
- Rossi: Pirates plan to carry Hurdle deep into playoffs
- Port Authority police discuss bus crash with county prosecutors
- Penguins notebook: Malkin picture muddy