Highlands girls beat Burrell
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Senior Natalie Richards scored twice — her 16th and 17th goals of the season — to lead playoff-bound Highlands to a 4-2 victory over Burrell in a Section 2-AA girls soccer game Monday in Harrison.
Sammi Ohl and Kara Bowser added goals for the Golden Rams (12-3, 10-2).
Burrell slipped to 1-13, 1-11.
Deer Lakes 4, Freeport 1 — Senior Nichole Kearns scored two goals to lift Deer Lakes (10-5-2, 7-5-2) to a Section 2-AA win over Freeport (5-10-1, 4-8-1).
Danielle Kerns added a goal and an assist for the Lancers. Goalie Autumn Pawlovsky made 11 saves for the Yellowjackets.
Knoch 5, Indiana 0 — Gabi Lassinger had a pair of goals, and goalkeeper Lexie Galbreath stopped six shots to help Knoch (11-4, 9-3) earn the shutout in Section 2-AA.
Plum 2, Penn Hills 0 — Plum (8-5-2, 6-3-2) outshot Penn Hills, 15-4, in the second half to post an important Section 3-AAA shutout.
Ashley Amato and Aaliyah Odom netted goals for the Mustangs. Odom added an assist.
Penn Hills dropped to 6-8-1, 5-6.
Gateway 2, Fox Chapel 1 — Gateway (12-2-1, 10-0-1) clinched the Section 3-AAA title with its second victory over Fox Chapel (14-2, 9-2) this season. Emily Stevens finished a corner kick late in the second half to seal the victory, while Carly Seneca scored the other goal for the Gators.
Emma Slevin scored for the Foxes.
Springdale 3, St. Joseph 0 — Emma Whelan, Meghan Kokoski and Casey Hughes scored for Springdale (8-8, 7-4) in a Section 4-A win over the Spartans (2-11, 2-8).
Highlands 7, Valley 2 — John Kranja had two goals and an assist to vault Highlands (10-5, 6-3) past Valley (9-4-2, 7-1-2) in nonsection play. Morgan Berenson and Victor Nelson each added a goal and assist for the Golden Rams.
St. Joseph 2, Carrick 1 — Bob Cellender and Domenick Galli found the net as St. Joseph (6-9-1) picked up a nonsection win over Carrick (1-12).
Foxes bow out — In the WPIAL Class AAA semifinal tournament at Hiland Golf Course, Fox Chapel shot 403 to finish seven shots out of a playoff for the third spot in the WPIAL finals.
Patrick Sheerer shot 76, Greg Gittes 78 and Scott Sterrett 79 to lead the Foxes, who went 14-1 during the regular season.
North Allegheny, Peters Township and Hempfield advanced. Hempfield needed a playoff to edge Shady Side Academy after they tied at 396.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Foreign influx in Allegheny County at ‘tipping point’
- Steelers WR Wheaton wants to produce after injury-plagued rookie year
- Steelers hope group of low-budget cornerbacks can deliver
- Roethlisberger ‘prays’ he can stay with Steelers when deal expires
- Steelers notebook: Ben believes rookie WR Bryant can contribute
- Inside the ropes: Roethlisberger may have his big receiver
- Former Gateway coach Smith is ‘perfect fit’ for Penn State football staff
- LaBar: Cesaro is WWE’s next Cinderella story
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle, Huntington on same page
- Home sellers are able to remain mum about violent crimes committed there
- Observers mixed on grid backup amid carbon rules, natural gas uncertainty