Valley News Dispatch Spotlight Athletes of the Week: Springdale's Jared Cole and Knoch's Olivia Sharbaugh
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Claim to fame: Cole has scored 18 goals and chipped in nine assists for the first-place Dynamos (11-3, 8-1). Cole, a forward, spent three seasons playing for Central Catholic.
What prompted you to return for your last season?
To play with all the guys I've been playing with since I was like 6 or 7. I played with them during indoor season and travel league, and my mom works at the high school.
Does football or soccer reign supreme in Springdale?
You kind of choose one at a young age and stick with it through high school.
Are you planning to play in college and if so, where?
Yes, I just started looking, mainly Division III schools.
Claim to fame: Sharbaugh has 12 goals and nine assists. The team captain and 2011 Valley News Dispatch All-Star underwent surgery on both shins this summer.
How has the injury affected your game?
It forces me to think ahead of the play, I have to position myself in front of the ball so I don't get caught in a position where I can't recover. But I'm still often in a lot of pain.
What is your leadership role after losing eight seniors?
I learned a lot from them. I'm trying to lead the same way they led me when I was an underclassman.
How did your surgery affect your off-season?
I lost three months from my club season. I was restricted on what surfaces I could play on, so I really just started again this pre-season.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Nearing season’s midpoint, Steelers still have issues to sort out
- Buffalo Township grandma pleads guilty to selling hundreds of pounds of weed
- Ross brothers ordered to pay fine, remove debris from Christmas display
- Lawyer: Steelers center Pouncey, brother won’t be charged in July fracas
- Rossi: Fleury is, and will remain, Penguins’ soul
- Wanted sex offender caught hiding in homemade fort in Burgettstown
- Truck wreck closes Saxonburg Boulevard in West Deer
- Testing legs, giving backup goalie a chance are Penguins’ priorities
- Harmony woman accused of hitting police officer and anti-gay protester pleads guilty to reduced charges
- Hundreds mourn Pittsburgh trash collector killed by gunfire
- 4 alternate jurors picked in Ferrante cyanide poisoning trial