Valley News Dispatch Spotlight Athletes of the Week: Springdale’s Jared Cole and Knoch’s Olivia Sharbaugh
Published: Wednesday, October 10, 2012, 12:31 a.m.
Updated: Friday, December 14, 2012
Claim to fame: Cole has scored 18 goals and chipped in nine assists for the first-place Dynamos (11-3, 8-1). Cole, a forward, spent three seasons playing for Central Catholic.
What prompted you to return for your last season?
To play with all the guys I've been playing with since I was like 6 or 7. I played with them during indoor season and travel league, and my mom works at the high school.
Does football or soccer reign supreme in Springdale?
You kind of choose one at a young age and stick with it through high school.
Are you planning to play in college and if so, where?
Yes, I just started looking, mainly Division III schools.
Claim to fame: Sharbaugh has 12 goals and nine assists. The team captain and 2011 Valley News Dispatch All-Star underwent surgery on both shins this summer.
How has the injury affected your game?
It forces me to think ahead of the play, I have to position myself in front of the ball so I don't get caught in a position where I can't recover. But I'm still often in a lot of pain.
What is your leadership role after losing eight seniors?
I learned a lot from them. I'm trying to lead the same way they led me when I was an underclassman.
How did your surgery affect your off-season?
I lost three months from my club season. I was restricted on what surfaces I could play on, so I really just started again this pre-season.
- Kovacevic: Matt Cooke 1, Ottawa Senators 0
- Penguins rout Senators, return to Eastern Conference final
- Letang dazzles with dynamic play in Game 5 win
- Pirates waste strong Burnett start, fall again to Brewers at Miller Park
- Penguins notebook: Tickets for Eastern Conference final on sale today
- 16-year-old girl shot and killed on Rankin street
- Senators boxed in by penalties
- Steelers hope new blocking scheme kick-starts running game
- Ganassi drivers Franchitti, Dixon facing an uphill battle at Indy 500
- Burrell relay, Springdale hurdler test their talents in PIAA prelims
- Kiski Area relayers overcome chilly conditions to advance to PIAA finals
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.