Valley News Dispatch Spotlight Athletes of the Week: Springdale's Jared Cole and Knoch's Olivia Sharbaugh
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Claim to fame: Cole has scored 18 goals and chipped in nine assists for the first-place Dynamos (11-3, 8-1). Cole, a forward, spent three seasons playing for Central Catholic.
What prompted you to return for your last season?
To play with all the guys I've been playing with since I was like 6 or 7. I played with them during indoor season and travel league, and my mom works at the high school.
Does football or soccer reign supreme in Springdale?
You kind of choose one at a young age and stick with it through high school.
Are you planning to play in college and if so, where?
Yes, I just started looking, mainly Division III schools.
Claim to fame: Sharbaugh has 12 goals and nine assists. The team captain and 2011 Valley News Dispatch All-Star underwent surgery on both shins this summer.
How has the injury affected your game?
It forces me to think ahead of the play, I have to position myself in front of the ball so I don't get caught in a position where I can't recover. But I'm still often in a lot of pain.
What is your leadership role after losing eight seniors?
I learned a lot from them. I'm trying to lead the same way they led me when I was an underclassman.
How did your surgery affect your off-season?
I lost three months from my club season. I was restricted on what surfaces I could play on, so I really just started again this pre-season.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- More companies embrace exchanges to curb health care costs
- Hospitals turning to technology to tear down language barriers with patients
- Navigating how to pay for college a challenge as costs continue to rise and aid varies
- White House intrusions reveal problems with security, Secret Service
- London must keep promises to Scotland, former Prime Minister Brown says
- Penn State rolls past Massachusetts
- The Box
- Worth of nickel rising in NFL
- Thanks for the coverage
- Springdale boys collect win in double overtime
- Getting into executive pipeline may require schmoozing