Tribune-Review athletes of the week: Indiana's Matt Holuta, Norwin's Samantha Farabaugh
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Claim to fame: Holuta finished second with a round of 71 at the WPIAL Class AAA individual boys golf championships at FoxChapel Golf Club on Oct. 5. Holuta finished one stroke behind Central Catholic's Brent Rodgers. Holuta qualified for the PIAA Western Regional, set for Oct. 15 at Tom's Run Golf Course in Blairsville.
“I'm very pleased with how I played,” Holuta said. “I just wanted to play well enough to move onto the next round. But going out there and playing like that was a big bonus.”
What's your expectation for the PIAA Western Regionals?
I hope to qualify (for the PIAA tournament). I know I can, so I guess I expect to, but I don't want say that I expect to. I just want to play my game and qualify for states.
What has been your best moment so far on the course?
Probably qualifying for states last year.
What do you tend to think about while on the golf course?
I try to not think about very much. I just take one shot at a time and hit the best shot that I can.
Claim to fame: Farabaugh recorded a hat trick to lead Class AAA No. 4 Norwin (12-1-2, 10-1) to a 7-0 victory over Hempfield in Section 1-AAA action last week. Recently, Farabaugh had to change positions from center back to center forward because the Knights have endured numerous injuries to key players.
“I just went out there and tried my best,” Farabaugh said. “I went out there and tried to help my team to a victory.”
What does the team need to do to make a deep run into the playoffs?
I think we need to work better as a team. We tend to start off slow. As long as we get off to fast starts and play like a team, we will have a chance to go far.
How do you feel about switching positions for the team?
It's a little tough to change mindsets and going back and forth. But it's what the team needs right now. It's better to be switching positions and being on the field.
What is the best part of your game?
I would have to say my possession and being calm and trying to find feet. I just feel like I'm good at being calm in any situation.
— Andrew John
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Alvarez homer triggers winning outburst for Pirates
- Pirates claim Ishikawa off waivers; Marte injured
- Greeks reject demands for more austerity in key referendum
- Woman shot at Kennywood Park in ‘freak accident’
- McCutchen, Pirates hitters increasingly in crosshairs
- Police: Maine man shoots off firework from top of head, dies
- Pirates minor league report: Ramirez more mindful while at plate
- Murrysville home damaged in blaze
- Initials carved into pig in Georges Township
- Pittsburgh’s tech startup activity rates last of 40 metro areas in report
- Starting 9: Pirates missing out on young bat