High school roundup: WPIAL announces soccer pairings
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The WPIAL released its playoff soccer pairings Wednesday, and the Mt. Pleasant and Southmoreland girls soccer teams will each begin the postseason Saturday.
The Scotties (11-7) and Vikings (11-7) finished tied for second in Section 1-AA. Mt. Pleasant will play South Park at 2 p.m. at Bethel Park. Southmoreland takes on host Belle Vernon in a 4 p.m. match.
The Scotties played the Leopards (15-2-1) earlier this month, and Belle Vernon posted a 3-0 victory. The Vikings played South Park (12-3-1) in the first round of the playoffs last season. South Park won that game, 3-0. Belle Vernon and South Park each finished tied for the best record in Section 4-AA.
The only boys team from the area to qualify for the playoffs was Laurel Highlands. The Mustangs play West Mifflin at 2 p.m. Saturday at Belle Vernon. Laurel Highlands (10-6-2) took third in Section 6-AA. West Mifflin (7-7-2) is the third-place team from Section 3-AA.
Yough 3, Southmoreland 1 — Brianna Bunner had 19 assists and Cindy Severi recorded six kills, but the Scotties (6-10, 4-8) concluded their season with a Section 7-AA loss to host Yough, 23-25, 25-22, 25-17, 25-9.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Housing market remains ‘disaster’ in Westmoreland County
- Steelers Lookahead: Previewing Sunday’s game vs. Cleveland
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense
- Pa. judge identified who denied Trib request to view sexually explicit emails circulated in AG’s Office
- Campus visit sells 4-star Ohio recruit Hall on Panthers
- Virginia GOP Senate candidate Gillespie piles up mileage in pursuit of Warner
- Wedding aboard Pittsburgh’s Gateway Clipper ends in arrests
- Coping with Kids: Gear up and get powered
- Southmoreland boys soccer expects another strong season
- Bitter loss fuels Kiski Area boys soccer