High school roundup: WPIAL announces soccer pairings
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The WPIAL released its playoff soccer pairings Wednesday, and the Mt. Pleasant and Southmoreland girls soccer teams will each begin the postseason Saturday.
The Scotties (11-7) and Vikings (11-7) finished tied for second in Section 1-AA. Mt. Pleasant will play South Park at 2 p.m. at Bethel Park. Southmoreland takes on host Belle Vernon in a 4 p.m. match.
The Scotties played the Leopards (15-2-1) earlier this month, and Belle Vernon posted a 3-0 victory. The Vikings played South Park (12-3-1) in the first round of the playoffs last season. South Park won that game, 3-0. Belle Vernon and South Park each finished tied for the best record in Section 4-AA.
The only boys team from the area to qualify for the playoffs was Laurel Highlands. The Mustangs play West Mifflin at 2 p.m. Saturday at Belle Vernon. Laurel Highlands (10-6-2) took third in Section 6-AA. West Mifflin (7-7-2) is the third-place team from Section 3-AA.
Yough 3, Southmoreland1 — Brianna Bunner had 19 assists and Cindy Severi recorded six kills, but the Scotties (6-10, 4-8) concluded their season with a Section 7-AA loss to host Yough, 23-25, 25-22, 25-17, 25-9.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Blake gets outside shot in nickel
- Pirates use big 7th inning to sweep Marlins, stretch winning streak to 6
- Plum teacher, held for trial, vows to fight witness intimidation charge
- Gameday: Pirates at Padres, May 28, 2015
- State Sen. Matt Smith resigning to become chamber president
- Santorum officially joining GOP contenders for the White House
- Police seek leads on Shadyside bank robbery
- Rossi: Steelers’ tarnished Bell rings true
- UPMC offering buyouts to 3,500 employees in cost-cutting move
- 3 injured in Ambridge stabbing
- Male suspect in custody from New Kensington shooting