High school roundup: WPIAL announces soccer pairings
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The WPIAL released its playoff soccer pairings Wednesday, and the Mt. Pleasant and Southmoreland girls soccer teams will each begin the postseason Saturday.
The Scotties (11-7) and Vikings (11-7) finished tied for second in Section 1-AA. Mt. Pleasant will play South Park at 2 p.m. at Bethel Park. Southmoreland takes on host Belle Vernon in a 4 p.m. match.
The Scotties played the Leopards (15-2-1) earlier this month, and Belle Vernon posted a 3-0 victory. The Vikings played South Park (12-3-1) in the first round of the playoffs last season. South Park won that game, 3-0. Belle Vernon and South Park each finished tied for the best record in Section 4-AA.
The only boys team from the area to qualify for the playoffs was Laurel Highlands. The Mustangs play West Mifflin at 2 p.m. Saturday at Belle Vernon. Laurel Highlands (10-6-2) took third in Section 6-AA. West Mifflin (7-7-2) is the third-place team from Section 3-AA.
Yough 3, Southmoreland1 — Brianna Bunner had 19 assists and Cindy Severi recorded six kills, but the Scotties (6-10, 4-8) concluded their season with a Section 7-AA loss to host Yough, 23-25, 25-22, 25-17, 25-9.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- LaBar: Sting making history fighting for WWE title
- RB Williams believes he’s making seamless transition to Steelers
- Steelworkers scoff at ATI earnings claim
- No certainty for Pirates’ call-up veterans
- Rossi: Continuing legend of Pirate Ray
- Board members bring business attitude to nonprofit August Wilson
- Record-holding female motorcyclist to speak at Lincoln Highway event
- New Kensington firemen honor fallen brother, ‘hero’
- Vintage drive-in theaters’ prices, upgrades still draw in Western Pa.
- Pitt basketball team starting to get injured players back
- Animal welfare groups see opportunities in dialogue about Vick signing