High school roundup: WPIAL announces soccer pairings
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The WPIAL released its playoff soccer pairings Wednesday, and the Mt. Pleasant and Southmoreland girls soccer teams will each begin the postseason Saturday.
The Scotties (11-7) and Vikings (11-7) finished tied for second in Section 1-AA. Mt. Pleasant will play South Park at 2 p.m. at Bethel Park. Southmoreland takes on host Belle Vernon in a 4 p.m. match.
The Scotties played the Leopards (15-2-1) earlier this month, and Belle Vernon posted a 3-0 victory. The Vikings played South Park (12-3-1) in the first round of the playoffs last season. South Park won that game, 3-0. Belle Vernon and South Park each finished tied for the best record in Section 4-AA.
The only boys team from the area to qualify for the playoffs was Laurel Highlands. The Mustangs play West Mifflin at 2 p.m. Saturday at Belle Vernon. Laurel Highlands (10-6-2) took third in Section 6-AA. West Mifflin (7-7-2) is the third-place team from Section 3-AA.
Yough 3, Southmoreland 1 — Brianna Bunner had 19 assists and Cindy Severi recorded six kills, but the Scotties (6-10, 4-8) concluded their season with a Section 7-AA loss to host Yough, 23-25, 25-22, 25-17, 25-9.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates fall short at trade deadline
- Zappala disputes public safety director’s statement on police ID policy
- After years of lobbying, Big Ben has Steelers running the no-huddle
- Spaling, Penguins agree to $4.4 million deal
- Sunoco Logistics’ 300-mile pipeline dealt setback
- Shooting investigation leads to large marijuana grow in Monessen
- Steelers hold high hopes for pass defense
- Steelers notebook: Brown calls Sanders’ comments about Roethlisberger ‘terrible’
- Man who recruited the homeless to cash forged checks at PNC sentenced
- EPA talks on pollution limits trigger protests, arrests Downtown
- Beloved teacher at 3 Western Pa. schools hears from students across nation