High school roundup: WPIAL announces soccer pairings
By Staff Reports
Published: Wednesday, Oct. 17, 2012, 10:08 p.m.
The WPIAL released its playoff soccer pairings Wednesday, and the Mt. Pleasant and Southmoreland girls soccer teams will each begin the postseason Saturday.
The Scotties (11-7) and Vikings (11-7) finished tied for second in Section 1-AA. Mt. Pleasant will play South Park at 2 p.m. at Bethel Park. Southmoreland takes on host Belle Vernon in a 4 p.m. match.
The Scotties played the Leopards (15-2-1) earlier this month, and Belle Vernon posted a 3-0 victory. The Vikings played South Park (12-3-1) in the first round of the playoffs last season. South Park won that game, 3-0. Belle Vernon and South Park each finished tied for the best record in Section 4-AA.
The only boys team from the area to qualify for the playoffs was Laurel Highlands. The Mustangs play West Mifflin at 2 p.m. Saturday at Belle Vernon. Laurel Highlands (10-6-2) took third in Section 6-AA. West Mifflin (7-7-2) is the third-place team from Section 3-AA.
Yough 3, Southmoreland 1 — Brianna Bunner had 19 assists and Cindy Severi recorded six kills, but the Scotties (6-10, 4-8) concluded their season with a Section 7-AA loss to host Yough, 23-25, 25-22, 25-17, 25-9.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins’ Bylsma wants Cup version of Letang
- Orpik: Penguins must keep their cool
- Pirates trade for Mets first baseman Davis
- Oakmont father-son team’s efforts help add Mon Valley names to police memorial
- Road work to cause lane closures in Mt. Lebanon starting Monday
- York teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Hempfield native, 22, publishes with local independent press
- Court upholds EPA emissions restrictions
- Rossi: Pens sticking to power-play plan
- Latrobe woman texts searchers in Linn Run State Park to tell them she’s OK
- Alvarez struggles as Pirates fall short against Brewers