High school roundup: WPIAL announces soccer pairings
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The WPIAL released its playoff soccer pairings Wednesday, and the Mt. Pleasant and Southmoreland girls soccer teams will each begin the postseason Saturday.
The Scotties (11-7) and Vikings (11-7) finished tied for second in Section 1-AA. Mt. Pleasant will play South Park at 2 p.m. at Bethel Park. Southmoreland takes on host Belle Vernon in a 4 p.m. match.
The Scotties played the Leopards (15-2-1) earlier this month, and Belle Vernon posted a 3-0 victory. The Vikings played South Park (12-3-1) in the first round of the playoffs last season. South Park won that game, 3-0. Belle Vernon and South Park each finished tied for the best record in Section 4-AA.
The only boys team from the area to qualify for the playoffs was Laurel Highlands. The Mustangs play West Mifflin at 2 p.m. Saturday at Belle Vernon. Laurel Highlands (10-6-2) took third in Section 6-AA. West Mifflin (7-7-2) is the third-place team from Section 3-AA.
Yough 3, Southmoreland 1 — Brianna Bunner had 19 assists and Cindy Severi recorded six kills, but the Scotties (6-10, 4-8) concluded their season with a Section 7-AA loss to host Yough, 23-25, 25-22, 25-17, 25-9.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- NFL parity makes playoff chase a multi-team muddle
- Finding balance between toughness, excessiveness key for Penguins’ Downie
- LaBar: Timing perfect for Sting’s debut at WWE’s Survivor Series
- Inching closer to return, Pitt’s Wright could boost defense
- Clues to Chief Justice John Roberts’ thinking on new ObamaCare case
- Arziona’s Miller gets boost from Char Valley grad’s play
- Iraqi family, torn apart for opposing Saddam, reunites in Pittsburgh
- CT scans can find smokers’ lung cancer early
- East Allegheny girls basketball team embraces new outlook
- Ford City boys basketball coach brings winning personality for final season
- Pirates trade Davis to A’s for international signing bonus money