Shaler, Hampton, Pine-Richland cross country teams prepare for Tri-State Invitational
TribLIVE Sports Videos
In a cross country meet that pitted the best in the area from Shaler, Hampton and Pine-Richland, the Rams nipped the favored Talbots by the score of 26-32 and Shaler, 18-44, to finish second in the section with a 7-1 record for the second year in a row.
“This was a big deal because we lost to Hampton by a point without Tommy Reinhart, and then twice this season,” Pine-Richland coach Chaz Connolly said.
Hampton beat Pine-Richland at the Red, White and Blue Invitational and the Spartan Invitational.
“Our guys are peaking at the right time and now, everyone is healthy,” Connolly said.
Only three teams from the section will make it to the WPIAL championships, and with Hampton being a favorite to get in as a possible third team from the section, the Rams are thinking, “Why not us?”
“That win gives us a boost,” Connolly said.
“I told our guys to keep training hard and not to look for a miracle. Just do what we are capable of.”
Connolly said he will not taper his runners yet, but he will back off a little because some of them are a little beat up.
“We will take aim at the Tri-State Invitational at Coopers Lake Today,” Connolly said.
In the meet between the three local rivals, Hampton's Brian Shields finished first with a time of 16:30. Pine-Richland's Tommy Reinhart took second with a time of 17:04, and the Rams' Elija Stedeford was third with a time of 17:13.
Shaler's Caleb Wakely took fourth with a time of 17:18, and Pine-Richland's Derrick Zynn (17:21) was fifth.
Hampton's Nolan Sloan finished sixth with a time of 17:35, and teammates Jason Krist (17:50) and Jack Reidy (18:13) took seventh and eighth.
Rounding out the top 10 were Pine-Richland's Jared Todorowski with a time of 18:27 and his teammate Dan Calabrese with a time of 18:29.
Jerry Clark is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-779-6979 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rare surgery helps woman beat paralysis
- Firefighters extinguish fire that damages 6 cabs at Yellow Cab Co.
- Police identify driver in North Side crash that killed pregnant woman
- Steelers’ backups Archer, Harris ready to run
- Steelers notebook: Roethlisberger says Saints game is ‘must win’
- Comeau’s hat trick leads Penguins; Crosby reaches 800 career points
- Turkey Trot runners turn out to burn calories despite chilly Pittsburgh temps
- Starkey: Rutherford will add when timing’s right
- Defying the odds makes this Thanksgiving particularly poignant
- Boyce Park to open ski season Friday
- Washington Township woman savors family’s turkey farm tradition