Local roundup: Sewickley Academy field hockey advances to WPIAL playoffs
By Staff Reports
Published: Wednesday, October 24, 2012, 8:56 p.m.
Updated: Monday, October 29, 2012
The Sewickley Academy field hockey team went 1-1-1 last week prior to the WPIAL Class AA playoffs.
The Panthers lost, 2-1, to Upper St. Clair on Senior Day, then defeated Aquinas Academy, 2-1, on Oct. 16. They then tied Ellis School 2-2 on Thursday.
Thursday's match proved to be a preview of the WPIAL playoffs, as Sewickley Academy was scheduled to play Ellis in the semifinal round of the WPIAL Class AA playoffs Wednesday. Results of the match were unavailable prior to this edition's deadline.
The winner advanced to the WPIAL finals against the winner of Shady Side Academy and Winchester Thurston. The championship game will be 6 p.m. Tuesday at North Allegheny.
Senior Jordan Milo and junior Keenan Hickton each qualified for the PIAA boys golf championship, which was held earlier this week. At the PIAA Western Regional qualifier at Tom's Run Golf Course in Blairsville, Milo shot a 6-over-par 78 to place eighth, and Hickton shot 5-over-par 77 to finish fifth.
The two-day PIAA individual championship was played earlier this week at Heritage Hills Golf Course in York. Results were unavailable prior to this edition's deadline.
Quaker Valley opened the WPIAL playoffs this week after finishing the regular season 6-4 in Section 2-AA. The Quakers, who finished third in section play behind Ambridge (9-1) and Central Valley (9-1), took on Blackhawk on Tuesday. Results were unavailable prior to this edition's deadline.
Quaker Valley ended the regular season last week with a 3-1 win over Lincoln Park and a 3-0 loss to Beaver on Senior Night.
- Kovacevic: Do Senators have anything left?
- Steelers might be forced to rely on rookies in 2013
- Rossi: Late-game moves pay off
- Penguins’ Dupuis earns teammates’ respect with consistent play
- Woman charged in fatal Lawrence County accident that killed cyclist
- Trib poll: Peduto pulling ahead in Pittsburgh mayor’s race
- Gorman: Pitt hoops could soon have Western Pa. flavor
- Penguins notebook: Spezza will return for Senators in Game 3
- Gulf Tower ‘turns’ red over Pens goals
- Architect Comes’ church designs teach lessons about Western Pa. history
- Pirates’ bullpen falters in extra-inning loss to Astros
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.