Schwartz takes third at PIAA meet
TribLIVE Sports Videos
There was no local runner hotter than Shaler's Brianna Schwartz this season.
The sophomore stalwart won the tri-state invitational, the WPIAL championship and this past weekend took the bronze medal at the PIAA cross country championships in Hershey. Schwartz's time of 18 minutes, 39 seconds was the best of any local female runner and has her excited for the possibilities of the seasons to come.
“I was running in fourth place most of the race, then took over third going up the last hill,” Schwartz said.
Schwartz ran this course last year, so she knew what she was up against as far as the terrain went. She knew the hilly trail could take a lot out of a runner, but she was able to push through it and break away on the final stretch.
“I started out fast and was able to hang on,” she said. “I learned that you have to get off to a fast start, stay relaxed and finish strong.”
Schwartz said she is so thankful for the season as a whole and looks forward to track in the spring as well as the next season of cross country.
Other local runners finishing well were Alex Archer (17:08) and Ryan Archer (16:57) of Vincentian Academy.
The Vincentian boys team took fifth with a score of 160.
Jerry Clark is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-779-6979 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Man dies in North Buffalo fire
- Steelers’ defense unfazed by noise, believes in potential
- Pirates pound Padres for 7th consecutive victory
- Penguins notebook: After reinterpreting rule, draft pick sought for Bylsma’s hiring
- Overhaul possible for West Mifflin’s Century III Mall
- Dormont man missing since Wednesday found dead at Station Square
- Former Ford City superintendent charged with killing family member in Texas
- Kiski River searched for possible missing kayaker
- Juvenile status hearing, trial delayed in Franklin Regional stabbings
- Decline of Christian America
- Texas man charged with helping friend’s bid to join ISIS