Schwartz takes third at PIAA meet
By Jerry Clark
Published: Wednesday, November 7, 2012, 8:56 p.m.
Updated: Thursday, November 8, 2012
There was no local runner hotter than Shaler's Brianna Schwartz this season.
The sophomore stalwart won the tri-state invitational, the WPIAL championship and this past weekend took the bronze medal at the PIAA cross country championships in Hershey. Schwartz's time of 18 minutes, 39 seconds was the best of any local female runner and has her excited for the possibilities of the seasons to come.
“I was running in fourth place most of the race, then took over third going up the last hill,” Schwartz said.
Schwartz ran this course last year, so she knew what she was up against as far as the terrain went. She knew the hilly trail could take a lot out of a runner, but she was able to push through it and break away on the final stretch.
“I started out fast and was able to hang on,” she said. “I learned that you have to get off to a fast start, stay relaxed and finish strong.”
Schwartz said she is so thankful for the season as a whole and looks forward to track in the spring as well as the next season of cross country.
Other local runners finishing well were Alex Archer (17:08) and Ryan Archer (16:57) of Vincentian Academy.
The Vincentian boys team took fifth with a score of 160.
Jerry Clark is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-779-6979 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Steelers might be forced to rely on rookies in 2013
- Gulf Tower ‘turns’ red over Pens goals
- Kovacevic: Do Senators have anything left?
- Trib poll: Peduto pulling ahead in Pittsburgh mayor’s race
- Penguins’ Dupuis earns teammates’ respect with consistent play
- Starkey: Robots over umps? Yes, please
- Brown’s ‘Inferno’ puts Langdon through his paces
- Gorman: Pitt hoops could soon have Western Pa. flavor
- Pirates’ bullpen falters in extra-inning loss to Astros
- Rossi: Late-game moves pay off
- Penguins notebook: Spezza will return for Senators in Game 3
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.