FC grad Feldman has solid senior season for Vermont soccer team
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Lily Feldman graduated from Fox Chapel Area High School in 2009.
She was a member of the varsity soccer team for all four years and moved on to the University of Vermont where she continued her varsity streak.
She was on the team's varsity soccer team since her freshman year.
“One of my biggest thrills was starting as a freshman at Fox Chapel and playing on the varsity all four years,” she said.
“I knew when I moved onto the college game that it would be more challenging. I wasn't sure that I would be playing varsity all four years but I was able to accomplish it.”
In high school, Feldman was a team captain as a junior and senior and she was named team MVP in her senior year along with being chosen to the all-section team.
The honors continued at Vermont as the senior midfielder made the America East Commissioner's Academic Honor Roll in 2009-10.
She also served as a tri-captain in 2012.
Feldman, a nutritions and dietetics major, played in 10 games as a freshman and started in one.
She saw action in seven games as a sophomore before a serious injury cut her season short.
“I was feeling severe pain during a game and had to tell the coaches to take me out,” Feldman said. “I was having an internal bleeding problem.
“It was a disappointing way to end my season.”
She bounced back in her junior year to play in 18 games, starting in 15 of them.
Her senior year was a record-setting one for the team.
“The highlight was beating Albany in the quarterfinals of the conference playoffs,” she said. “It was the first time in the school's history that we had made it to the semifinals.”
Though her soccer career at Vermont is over, she will continue playing.
Feldman will be trying out for a team in Israel in January with play slated to begin in July.
“I'm looking forward to the trip and hopefully playing some more. After that, I will be going to graduate school,” Feldman said.
She has been following the fortunes of the Fox Chapel girls soccer team.
“I know they've been doing well and making the playoffs every year,” she said.
“I know that making the playoffs in my senior year was one of my biggest thrills at Fox Chapel. I'm glad they've continued to be successful.”
Lily is the daughter of Robert and Cynthia Feldman.
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Islanders outwork Penguins to sweep back-to-back meetings
- Starkey: No explaining Steelers, AFC North
- Leak of grand jury information could cost Attorney General Kane
- Springdale Library to pay rent to borough
- Pitt football notebook: Panthers’ depth at RB, offensive line shows against Syracuse
- Allegheny County adoption event joins 40 children with families
- Man sets house fire, kills deputy
- The bullet inside your body ‘becomes a part of you’
- Pitt beats Syracuse, snaps 3-game losing streak
- Woman on dating site looks too good to be true: How to vet that pic
- Need for new community college in Northwestern Pennsylvania questioned