Local Fayette County roundup
By Staff Reports
Published: Saturday, November 3, 2012, 12:28 a.m.
Updated: Saturday, November 3, 2012
The Penn State-Fayette women's volleyball team posted a 1-2 record on the first day of pool play during Friday's action at the USCAA National Tournament in Canton, N.Y.
Penn State-Fayette 2, Johnson & Wales University 0 — Samantha Helmantoler notched seven kills and Emily Konter posted 21 assists, as the Roaring Lions opened the tournament with a 25-23, 25-12 win. Leah Ambrosini added four kills and 12 digs for Penn State-Fayette.
Florida College 2, Penn State-Fayette 0 — Konter had 14 assists and Leah Ambrosini posted six kills, but Florida College defeated the Roaring Lions, 25-9, 25-21. Emily Caldwell and Janelle Cooper each had six digs for Penn State-Fayette.
Rochester College 2, Penn State-Fayette 1 — Konter had 21 assists and 12 digs and Ambrosini tallied 12 kills to go along with four digs, but the Roaring Lions (24-7) lost to Rochester College, 13-25, 25-13, 15-12. Caldwell added seven digs for the Roaring Lions.
Penn State-Fayette concludes pool play with a match against New Hampshire Technical Institute at 11:30 a.m. Saturday.
Prior to the tournament, the USCAA handed out its annual end-of-season awards. Ambrosini was named a first-team All-American for the fourth straight year, while Konter earned second-team All-American honors. Konter and Katlyn Salisbury also were named to the USCAA All-Academic team.
- Penguins notebook: Pens talking with Dupuis’ reps
- Pirates notebook: Beanballs escalate tension against Reds
- Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark
- Connellsville police plan annual poker ride
- U.S., Taliban to formally talk peace
- Mt. Pleasant district has superintendent candidate
- Mt. Pleasant’s Penn Theater building coming down
- Mt. Pleasant Community Yard Sale set for Saturday
- Landmark Fallowfield DQ has new owners
- Pirates announce signing of first-round pick McGuire
- Southmoreland board plans vote on spending plan
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.