Local Fayette County roundup
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Penn State-Fayette women's volleyball team posted a 1-2 record on the first day of pool play during Friday's action at the USCAA National Tournament in Canton, N.Y.
Penn State-Fayette 2, Johnson & Wales University 0 — Samantha Helmantoler notched seven kills and Emily Konter posted 21 assists, as the Roaring Lions opened the tournament with a 25-23, 25-12 win. Leah Ambrosini added four kills and 12 digs for Penn State-Fayette.
Florida College 2, Penn State-Fayette 0 — Konter had 14 assists and Leah Ambrosini posted six kills, but Florida College defeated the Roaring Lions, 25-9, 25-21. Emily Caldwell and Janelle Cooper each had six digs for Penn State-Fayette.
Rochester College 2, Penn State-Fayette 1 — Konter had 21 assists and 12 digs and Ambrosini tallied 12 kills to go along with four digs, but the Roaring Lions (24-7) lost to Rochester College, 13-25, 25-13, 15-12. Caldwell added seven digs for the Roaring Lions.
Penn State-Fayette concludes pool play with a match against New Hampshire Technical Institute at 11:30 a.m. Saturday.
Prior to the tournament, the USCAA handed out its annual end-of-season awards. Ambrosini was named a first-team All-American for the fourth straight year, while Konter earned second-team All-American honors. Konter and Katlyn Salisbury also were named to the USCAA All-Academic team.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates acquire pitcher Blanton from Royals for cash
- Peduto blasts Wolf’s plan to borrow $3B to shore up pensions
- Starkey: Garoppolo baffles Steelers
- Inside the Steelers: Williams’ quickness out of backfield evident in drills
- McCutchen, Pirates cruise to interleague victory over Twins
- Steelers notebook: LB Dupree sits out backs-on–backers drill
- Tight ends’ role in Steelers passing game continues to lessen but players remain selfless
- West Liberty pitcher hones skills in South
- Pirates notebook: Melancon bails out Watson with extended outing
- Vallozzi’s Pittsburgh transfers great fare it’s been known for in the Pittsburgh region to the Steel City
- Gameday: Pirates at Reds, July 30, 2015