Local Fayette County roundup
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Penn State-Fayette women's volleyball team posted a 1-2 record on the first day of pool play during Friday's action at the USCAA National Tournament in Canton, N.Y.
Penn State-Fayette 2, Johnson & Wales University 0 — Samantha Helmantoler notched seven kills and Emily Konter posted 21 assists, as the Roaring Lions opened the tournament with a 25-23, 25-12 win. Leah Ambrosini added four kills and 12 digs for Penn State-Fayette.
Florida College 2, Penn State-Fayette 0 — Konter had 14 assists and Leah Ambrosini posted six kills, but Florida College defeated the Roaring Lions, 25-9, 25-21. Emily Caldwell and Janelle Cooper each had six digs for Penn State-Fayette.
Rochester College 2, Penn State-Fayette 1 — Konter had 21 assists and 12 digs and Ambrosini tallied 12 kills to go along with four digs, but the Roaring Lions (24-7) lost to Rochester College, 13-25, 25-13, 15-12. Caldwell added seven digs for the Roaring Lions.
Penn State-Fayette concludes pool play with a match against New Hampshire Technical Institute at 11:30 a.m. Saturday.
Prior to the tournament, the USCAA handed out its annual end-of-season awards. Ambrosini was named a first-team All-American for the fourth straight year, while Konter earned second-team All-American honors. Konter and Katlyn Salisbury also were named to the USCAA All-Academic team.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Hunting creates strong bonds, traditions
- Unexected snow squalls bring icy conditions, accidents in West Mifflin
- Sentencing delayed for Operation Pork Chop mastermind
- Trib real estate writer Spatter ‘worked right to the end’
- For some Pennsylvania candidates, 2015 is already here
- Elizabeth council honors actions of 2 emergency responders
- McKeesport’s Minerva’s Bakery to be featured on Sebak’s documentary
- Salvation Army in W.Pa. uses social media campaign
- In Steelers-Saints game, all eyes on Brown-Lewis matchup
- Steelers notebook: Defense has a retro feel
- Thousands attend Vandergrift Light-Up Night, Christmas parade