Playoffs nearly a 50-50 venture
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Did you know that:
• A total of 64 teams (16 in each classification) advanced to the WPIAL football playoffs, while 61 teams did not qualify?
In Class AAAA, 10 teams missed the playoffs, while in Class AAA, 11 teams failed to qualify. The numbers are higher in the lower two classifications — 19 in Class AA, and 21 in Class A.
Seven WPIAL teams did not win a game in 2012, while six finished undefeated in the regular season?
Shaler and Plum in AAAA; Albert Gallatin in AAA; Brownsville and Burgettstown in AA; and Serra Catholic and Geibel in A all were winless.
Burgettstown, which generated only 47 points, finished as the lowest-scoring team in the WPIAL?
• On a local note, Thomas Jefferson was the only undefeated team in Class AAA in the regular season?
Meanwhile, Clairton, located just down the hill from TJ, was the only undefeated Class A team.
North Allegheny finished with an undefeated record in the Class AAAA division, while three teams — Aliquippa, South Fayette and Washington — ended up undefeated in Class AA.
• Baldwin's varsity hockey team opened its 2012-13 PIHL season with a 12-0 victory against Ringgold in the PIHL open division?
Dakota Becker sparked the local squad with a four-goal performance, including a natural hat trick in the first period, and was complented by Brian Dee's and Adam Gift's two goals apiece.
Kenny Dee, Ryan Doran, Dylan Davey and Kaleb Reckley also netted goals for Baldwin.
Goaltender Ryan Beerman made seven saves in posting his first shutout of the year.
• Seton-La Salle has won 20 of its past 22 varsity football games?
The Rebels were 11-1 overall last season, and currently are 9-1 in 2012.
• Seton-La Salle's football team also has posted a 25-2 overall regular-season record in the past three seasons?
• Jessica Manfredi, a Jefferson Hills resident and a senior at Serra Catholic, has been named all-section in soccer for the second time in her high school career?
Manfredi was lauded at the goalkeeper position in Section 2-A. She also earned all-section plaudits in 2010 as a stopper.
• Thomas Jefferson's varsity football team outscored Hollidaysburg by a 118-19 margin in two games this season?
The Jaguars registered 17 touchdowns in the two contests.
In the first matchup, TJ quarterback Joe Carroll threw five touchdown passes. Last week, the Jaguars accounted for six touchdowns on the ground.
• South Park senior Shelby Lindsay has been honored as a state finalist for the 2012 Wendy's High School Heisman Award?
• Bill Cherpak is the all-time winningest head football coach at Thomas Jefferson?
Cherpak's career record is 190-36.
Ray Fisher is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5820 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Big plays cost Steelers defense in 43-19 preseason loss at Bills
- Solarize Allegheny powers up with communities
- Architecture: Pittsburgh history in 10 houses
- Record golf ball collection drives Connellsville native
- Newsmaker: Tamika Duck
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Rockies, Aug. 30, 2015
- Historic WWII-era landing ship tank docking at Heinz Field
- Cooking Class: Grilled Escarole Salad at E2
- Pa. Game Commission wants fee hikes, must convince sportsmen to buy in
- Quick grilled chicken doesn’t skimp on flavor
- Road Trip! Destination: Cincinnati