Playoffs nearly a 50-50 venture
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Did you know that:
• A total of 64 teams (16 in each classification) advanced to the WPIAL football playoffs, while 61 teams did not qualify?
In Class AAAA, 10 teams missed the playoffs, while in Class AAA, 11 teams failed to qualify. The numbers are higher in the lower two classifications — 19 in Class AA, and 21 in Class A.
Seven WPIAL teams did not win a game in 2012, while six finished undefeated in the regular season?
Shaler and Plum in AAAA; Albert Gallatin in AAA; Brownsville and Burgettstown in AA; and Serra Catholic and Geibel in A all were winless.
Burgettstown, which generated only 47 points, finished as the lowest-scoring team in the WPIAL?
• On a local note, Thomas Jefferson was the only undefeated team in Class AAA in the regular season?
Meanwhile, Clairton, located just down the hill from TJ, was the only undefeated Class A team.
North Allegheny finished with an undefeated record in the Class AAAA division, while three teams — Aliquippa, South Fayette and Washington — ended up undefeated in Class AA.
• Baldwin's varsity hockey team opened its 2012-13 PIHL season with a 12-0 victory against Ringgold in the PIHL open division?
Dakota Becker sparked the local squad with a four-goal performance, including a natural hat trick in the first period, and was complented by Brian Dee's and Adam Gift's two goals apiece.
Kenny Dee, Ryan Doran, Dylan Davey and Kaleb Reckley also netted goals for Baldwin.
Goaltender Ryan Beerman made seven saves in posting his first shutout of the year.
• Seton-La Salle has won 20 of its past 22 varsity football games?
The Rebels were 11-1 overall last season, and currently are 9-1 in 2012.
• Seton-La Salle's football team also has posted a 25-2 overall regular-season record in the past three seasons?
• Jessica Manfredi, a Jefferson Hills resident and a senior at Serra Catholic, has been named all-section in soccer for the second time in her high school career?
Manfredi was lauded at the goalkeeper position in Section 2-A. She also earned all-section plaudits in 2010 as a stopper.
• Thomas Jefferson's varsity football team outscored Hollidaysburg by a 118-19 margin in two games this season?
The Jaguars registered 17 touchdowns in the two contests.
In the first matchup, TJ quarterback Joe Carroll threw five touchdown passes. Last week, the Jaguars accounted for six touchdowns on the ground.
• South Park senior Shelby Lindsay has been honored as a state finalist for the 2012 Wendy's High School Heisman Award?
• Bill Cherpak is the all-time winningest head football coach at Thomas Jefferson?
Cherpak's career record is 190-36.
Ray Fisher is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5820 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates analyst Kent Tekulve recovering after heart transplant
- Coroner: Heart attack caused Norvelt crash
- Steelers veteran defenders want young teammates to step up
- Steelers’ Brown combats disruptive defensive ploys
- Crosby appreciates his relationship with Penguins fans
- New approach on offense has Pirates in playoff contention this season
- Teacher can pursue racial-discrimination claim against PPS
- Pitt football coach Chryst refutes analyst Wannstedt’s opinion
- 2 top executives at Dick’s Sporting Goods retiring
- New Pittsburgh police chief gets familiar with surroundings on first day
- UPMC buying New Castle-based Jameson Health System