Fox Chapel field hockey team claims WPIAL crown
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The sigh of relief coming from North Allegheny at around 10 p.m. on Halloween night could probably be heard in Fox Chapel.
FC coach Jen McCrady and her squad claimed the WPIAL Class AAA field hockey championship with a 1-0 overtime win over Penn-Trafford.
It was the Foxes' third trip to the title game in four years and, after two defeats, the elusive win was a sweet treat.
“It was an awesome feeling,” McCrady said. “Last year, after we lost to North Allegheny in the semifinals, the then-juniors were determined to take it all the way this year.”
Despite only getting one penalty corner to Penn-Trafford's 18, the Foxes hung tough and Sammi Pitz scored with 3:09 left in overtime.
After Kate Hardiman's shot took a tricky bounce off of Warrior goalie Harry Miller's pad, Pitz fired into the open goal.
“Our girls never quit,” McCrady said. “Even though we beat Penn-Trafford earlier, we knew it would be a battle.
“They dominated in terms of corners, but we never broke. We have a lot of heart and determination.”
McCrady said there were a lot of tears of joy after the game and a sense of finally getting “over the hump that had been in our way for the last three years.”
Fox Chapel goalie Alaina George had six saves, including a crucial stop on a Penn-Trafford breakaway to keep her team in it until Pitz eneded it.
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers use 3 late first-half TDs to stun Texans
- Rossi: Steelers’ season all about going big
- Rookie Bryant sparks deep passing game for Steelers in victory
- Harrison woman dead in 3-car crash in Natrona Heights
- Steelers notebook: Adams replaces concussed Gilbert
- Bortuzzo could provide much-needed physical presence for Penguins
- For all but 2 minutes vs. Steelers, Texans played ‘pretty good game’
- Kin of 2013 DUI crash victim in Hempfield lose young family in fire
- Natrona Bottling Co. keeps soda pop operation small, putting effort into craft, taste
- Steelers-Texans game changers: Bell’s 43-yard catch provides spark
- Pa. Supreme Court Justice McCaffery suspended in email porn scandal